Saturday 22 February 2014

Newton Faulkner – York – Barbican – 19 Feb 2014

Newton Faulkner – York – Barbican – 19 Feb 2014

I met Tracy in York, it’s a beautiful city, I fell in love. Then we went to wetherspoons. Hot dog and chips, vodka and coke, and onion rings, sat at the window by the water side. Was a lovely dinner.

Despite ending up on the end of the front row because the queue had been doubled up and then a free for all, we were in for a great show.

Sam Brookes support slot was great. I fell in love with his voice. And the new album. Breaking blue and James were highlights. And I loved ‘The Design’. Sam explained he wrote it when he first moved to London.  ‘Is my head full of songs I’ve already sung.. is my idea of beauty flawed’

Then it was time for Newton.

1. Where to start
I’ve really taken to this song. Great show opener.

2. Won’t let go
When the music started, it took me back to when Newton used to first perform this song with an old tape recording on a cassette player with a microphone put to it. Made me smile.

3. Long shot
Real crowd pleaser.

4. I need something
“So I played a song of my new album studio Zoo, how many of you have it? *loads scream* Not bad. A few more and I would be wearing shoes. And I might be able to afford a haircut and some shaving equipment… Then I played a song off my second record, which has an actual xray of the metal plate in my wrist that looks a bit like a washing up brush, and then I played a song off my 3rd record, write it on your skin *few cheers* thank you 5 people. And this is a song off my first record”.
I still ADORE this song. Love it so much.

5. I took it out on you
Another great song off album 2.

6. Indecisive
“This is a song”. Lol

7. Treading water
Not a fan of this song. Sorry.

8. Clouds
I LOVE this song. Always have. Always will. It just makes me so happy. Best feeling in the world singing along at the top of your voice to it.

9. Teardrop
Straight into teardrop, before the crowd has even finished clapping. I love how it isn’t expected and silences them.

10. Like I love you (Justin Timberlake cover)
“Can I experiment with you? .. it’s nothing kinky.. I know, try and hide your disappointment”.
Someone shouted can you sing it like an angry posh man, and newton replied “I ordered the pea soup” in a posh accent. Newton said he only covered it because he just wanted to sing ‘I just want to love you baby’.  Was funny.


11. At the seams
“This is my dirty Mic”. I love this song. Always have. ‘as if your life wasn’t hard enough, you chose me’.

12. Don’t make me go there
I really like this song. Definitely has grown on me.

13. Plastic hearts
This is just so much fun live. Sam brookes, Toby, and Newton just going for it.

14. Waiting on you
I love this song. Makes me think of what Newton is saying to his son when I hear it.

15. Losing ground
Great song. Toby is a living genius.

16. Soon
Aww one of my ultimate faves. So pleased to see it in the set list.

17. Pulling teeth
Definitely another crowd pleaser.

18. Write it on your skin
I love this song. SO MUCH FUN. Not sure I like Sam and toby singing harmony though, much more fun when you split the crowd in three and hear them sing it.

“I know this has been a mainly acoustic concert, and I have shelves, and have a cellist and tea, but I don’t see why there can’t be jumping. People in the seats at the top, I will meet you have way, the penalty for your comfort is head-banging”. LOL.

Encore
---------------------------------

19. Dream catch me
Aww where it all began. I love this song so much. Best sing along song ever.

20. If this is it
So pleased to see this song in the set list again. It’s been missing for years and its one of my faves.

21. Orange skies
Awwww. Lovely last song about home.
Newton introduced the band again and paused before he introduced Beth. Someone shouted ‘Beth’ and Newton joked, I haven’t forgotten her name, I was going for suspense. LOL.
I love how the full band comes together and then the crowd harmonises as well. Beautiful.




After the show we went out the merch stand to have a nosey and Newton came out and decided to do a meet and greet. Damn. Then we had to join the queue we were trying to avoid. Tracy went to speak to Toby and I waited in the queue. I pretty much disowned her. The Girl in front of us was laughing LOL.  Then it got to our turn. He called Tracy ‘Lisa’, Tracy invented a new alter ego, and then Newton was struggling to get the marker pen to take to the shiny deluxe cd sleeve, and I told him to write over his face as an improvement. I shouldn’t be allowed to speak to him. LOL. Whoops. He was adorable to us though. He’s lovely :D


 photo P1760417.jpg
 photo P1760752.jpg

We grabbed a taxi back to Tracy’s and we were chatting excitedly when I heard notes to a song I can’t not pick out from the very first opening notes, Savage Garden’s Truly Madly Deeply. The taxi driver was adorable and listened to our fangirling and turned the radio up for us. It struck me how two friends, together because of their love of Darren Hayes, could wind up being somewhere that had nothing to do with D, and yet D’s voice be a presence. It was a moment.

All too soon it was time to say goodbye to Tracy, her beautiful house, the beautiful York, and head to Birmingham for show 2 of 5.

1 comment:

  1. Loved reading that, hun! Wow! You and your memory for whole sentences! How do you do it? Agreed with you about Teardrop and Write It On Your Skin. I love the three-part sing-along and missed it! Guess Newton wanted to vary things a bit. Treading Water has really grown on me. I find it quite deep ('scuse the pun!) and it's so clever how he keeps adjusting the tension of the guitar strings to get the effect he wants.

    Thank you for the compliments about my home and York. You must come back soon! Enjoyed your company, hun! x

    ReplyDelete