Tuesday 14 May 2013

A Love Letter to Newton Faulkner


“It's one thing time will not erase, My life would not have been the same”.


On 1/11/07 I can't begin to tell you how much my life changed. 

I bought a single by an artist called Newton Faulkner. This song had been on the radio at work for months but I couldn't catch enough of the lyrics above the noise to Google it. Then I was sitting watching TV one night and this advert came on. It was THAT song. I quickly noted the artist’s name and went to iTunes. I downloaded the song, it was called ‘Dream Catch Me’. I still remember that exact moment I saw that ad. Something clicked.


2008.


In January 2008 my sister lent me the album. I fell in love with it. I very quickly decided I needed to see this guy live. My friend and I went to see Newton play at the Cambridge corn exchange in February 2008. I was broke so she very kindly let me sleep on her floor and bought me my ticket. That night blew my mind. As did her kindness.

 photo l-1.jpg

I wasn't until March 2008, when my cat died unexpectedly and I ended up in a house share as I had to leave my flat that I noticed this guy Newton Faulkner really was special. The strength he gave me in those darkest hours is something I can’t explain. Those few months in 2008 were absolutely horrid. I wouldn't wish it on anyone. Depression consumed me. I look back now and I have no idea how I made I got through it. I counted my blessings for the friends who saw me through, and I never forgot about Newton either. In those months I went on iTunes and I purchased up every single version of the songs I didn't have and all the bonus tracks.

I joined Newton's website and forum. Kept up with the news.

2009.

what’s that? New album and a gig in London? go on then.

20 Oct 2009. 
That night at the shepherd’s bush empire, front row, the new album stole my heart. As did Newton. Now he didn't have a band behind him, just a few guitars, a tape machine, foot pedals and odd socks. There was this new song, ‘If This is it’. I fell in love with it. Long before Newton explained the song I knew it was about the feeling you get at a gig. I knew because I felt it too. There was other new songs that night, songs that had already stole my heart when the album when it was released in September 2009, and my favourite ‘I'm not giving up yet’. OH MY. Mr inspiration. BIG TIME. That show remains one of my favourites ever
.
 photo 20octdcm.jpg 

2010.

March 2010. 
Newton was playing my adopted home town, Nottingham, and I had to go. 3rd row, fun night. But I knew that crowd was capable of much more than what they gave that night. They just didn't seem to understand Newton or what he does. So I booked a last minute ticket to St Patrick's day at the Hammersmith Apollo  I'm Irish, it was an amazing artist and an excuse to have a great night. I was right up in the gods at the back but it didn't change a single thing. That gig was amazing. I wasn't wrong. The audience gave what I knew they were capable of.

There was one amazing thing that came out of Nottingham  I stole a poster off the door on the way out (well the guy at the venue did say take it when I'm not looking) and took it to the stage door to try and meet newton. And I met him, and he was impressed with my poster stealing skills. haha.

 photo 15march2010.jpg

Nov 2010. 
Highlands and Islands tour. 
No change in hell a girl in Nottingham can get to it. Gutted.

2011.

May 2011. St Pancras church. This girl couldn't get a ticket for the love of anything worth wishing on.

The rest of 2011 was mostly festivals.  Also impossible.

Then came a break. 
15 June 2011:The Forum - Bath. 
What a beautiful venue and such a good show. A tale about I've been thinking about it, a pirates with rabies version of 'gone in the morning' and 'Professional dog food taster'. Serious LOLz.

 photo bath2011.jpg

2012.

Newton was back with new music.
May 2012 was my chance.

I was front row in London at the Scala but absolutely devastated when the show started late due to technical issues and I had to leave and miss the end of the show to get my last train. I got home at 2am and went on eBay and bought an e-ticket to Birmingham the next night. Impulsive? Me? Never.  I had to get the last train again but this time I made it to the end of the show and ran to the station. I'm so pleased I did. That night was amazing. The second time hearing the new songs, and already I’d been bitten by them. ‘Soon’, ‘Against The Grain’ and ‘Clouds’ had literally bowled me over. That emotion him me square in the chest. I stood there in Birmingham, tears in my eyes, singing my heart out to the words I knew of the new songs and all of the old. Clouds especially got to me.

London:

 photo londonmay3.jpg

 photo londonmay2.jpg

Birmingham:

 photo brummay2012.jpg

 photo brum2012.jpg



8 May 2012. Newcastle upon Tyne.
I’d already booked this one to go with a friend, it wasn't another implusive thing. Front row, singing my little heart out to increasingly familiar new songs. And then we met Newton afterwards and all the things I wanted to say refused to fall out of my mouth apart from hi and thanks.

 photo newcastlemay2.jpg

 photo newcastlemay.jpg

I decided I couldn't not see Newton one more time. So I got 2 tickets to Leeds on ebay, sold one for face value to a girl in the queue, met my friend and we done another front row in what Newton called ‘The Bomb shelter’. Leeds cockpit.  Still one of my favourite ever shows. AMAZING.  I met Newton after and he recognised me, wrote ‘4 gigs?!’ on my flyer and I had a little chat with him. Just like an old friend. He was so sweet to me. I did try and stretch to Dundee the following week but just couldn't make it work.

 photo leeds20121.jpg

 photo leeds2012.jpg

 photo leeds20122.jpg

October 2012. 
Another tour. SQUEE.
I'm sorry bank account, I do love you really.

Glasgow.
I was so ill I almost didn't go. But singing my heart out to dream catch me and Newton seeing me and singing back to me made the whole thing worthwhile.

 photo glasgow1.jpg

 photo glasgow2.jpg

Newcastle.
LOVED the chat afterwards. He might just of well recognised me from may!

 photo newcatoct.jpg
.
 photo newcastoct1.jpg

Manchester.
"this next song requires a small amount of tea, it's not actually tea it's ginger and honey, yes I know it's cannibalism"
That is not a sexy face. *when concentrating tuning his guitar, someone shouted 'sexy'. 
People just shouting requests and Newton just playing them: Kermit the frog version of professional dog food taster, full fat and UFO.
....And then that you again look at the stage door Lol.

 photo mancoct1.jpg]

 photo mancoct2.jpg

And then Leicester with colleagues....

 photo leic.jpg

......and Birmingham.


 photo brumoct1.jpg

 photo border.jpg

Until next time Newton, I still love you just as much as before. If not more.


“If this is it, all we have,
 I know I've done all I can.
If this is it.

And we can't stop,

And start again,

We can't fast forward to the end.
This is it”.




No comments:

Post a Comment