Wednesday 1 May 2013

Tonight’s as good a night as any to let you go.

This a love letter to a favourite band of mine.
The band is called The Candle Thieves.

2009.

When Darren Hayes first tweeted about this band he loved I thought I would check them out. I fell in love with a song Darren had linked to called stars. It was the end of 2009.

2010.

Spring of 2010 saw the release of we’re all gonna die have fun. I spoke to me like so many of the candle thieves songs were to later do so. I remember buying the single on iTunes the week it was released.  That song will always be special to me. ‘I know the sun is gonna get through, just gotta let it reach you’. Never a truer word said.

It was august when I got round to buying the album from HMV online. I remember being excited that HMV was selling a cd from an unsigned band. I listened, I loved it, and then life kinda got in the way. But we’re all gonna die have fun remained a favourite of mine.

2011.

It wasn't until April 2011, when the candle thieves were announced as the supporting act for Darren Hayes NYE show that year that I picked up sunshine and other misfortunes again. I loved it all over again. Sharks and bears, breathing just for you, my little room, not the only one, stars….. It was so full of great songs.
Those months before Dec 2011 seemed to drag so much. I honestly don’t think I’ve ever enjoyed a concert / party more than that night. I might have been drunk but I remember screaming I love this song when we’re all gonna die came on, and I remember loving a few others along the way in that set list. Afterwards we danced until they threw us out, we drank vodka and coke and I was so so happy. I loved that night with my girlies so much. I look back and sometimes can’t believe it happened, or that it’s possible to feel so much joy.

2012.

2012 started with a bang, I was in well and truly in love with the candle thieves now.  I pledged to the new album (not once but twice), for the hand written lyrics sheet and the pledge exclusive album launch.
I promised the guys I would frame my hand written lyrics for we’re all gonna die have fun and they would be one of the first things in my new flat. We got the flat and to this day they sit on my chest of drawers and its one of the first things I see every morning when I reach for my watch and hairbrush whilst trying to get out the door.

The album launch was incredible. There were songs thrown in from rare EP’s I didn’t really know of, and there were the new songs that were just WOW, and there were my old favourites. It’s not every day a man called glock sits at your feet with a keyboard with a sparkler taped to it and plays a song that made you fall in love with the band years earlier. ‘It looks like we made it; it looks like we made it through’. I really wasn’t in a good place when the candle thieves came into my life, but I did indeed make it through. It was an emotional moment of coming full circle. 

Scott came over to me afterwards and said thank you for my album review of balloons. It was just a blog from the heart ,about an album that touched me, and it meant the world that Scott came over and said thanks hails.


Darren Hayes tour came around and I was truly excited to see one of my favourite bands supporting my favourite artist. Those 10 days were some of the best days of my life.

Newcastle - the crowd surfing shark I didn’t know what to do with and singing my little heart out and Scott’s beaming smile back. The flowers that didn’t pop up.

Glasgow – the flowers finally popped. The balloon glock had sent up into the rafters with a lighter, came tumbling down in front of Darren about an hour later. LOL.

London – meeting Scott again. Meeting glock for the first time. It was an amazing day full of so much awesomeness.

Birmingham – the shark got to the 1st balcony. Genius.

Dublin – Oi shark man. That drunk guy beside us was genius. Glock gave him the shark and he gave it to me. It still sits blown up in my room.

Manchester - going to chat to the guys again with friends :)

Brighton – I said a quick hello once more and then the guys signed the aforementioned shark.

After Darren's tour I wished I could see the guys play again.  Then came news of a joint headline tour. I booked Manchester, Nottingham and Stamford. I couldn't make it to Nottingham, but Stamford and Manchester were just delightful.

I almost didn't make it to Stamford, I got stranded in Leicester due to stupid flooding and train failures. Anna and I ended up running around Stamford lost and were late for the gig, we poorly negotiated some uneven stairs, a butterfly scared me to death inside the venue, but we had so much fun. We had a great laugh with Scott when he asked if I’d received my “limited edition” weatherman EP with a pair of glock’s pants. I received the umbrella and print and that will do nicely thanks guys ;) Even though Scott was poorly it was a great afternoon.

Manchester was just SO MUCH FUN. I love the randomness. The good times. Love my girlie Hils and her poorly car, I will never forget the Glock drop during my little room. Or the fact we lost Chris for HOURS because his phone had died.  

The end of 2012 approached and with it my traditional end of year blog. I made Scott the man I’d like to be best friends with in 2012 and balloons that the album that most stirred my soul in 2012. ‘The rock and the bug’ became one of my favourite ever songs. It was my 7th most played of 2012. It really could have been written about me.
"I’m hoping that you’re happy because I’m not...
I really wonder what you see in me, when you could fly away happily..
 It’s a miracle you found me, I appreciate the company”


2013.

I was so excited to see the pre-order go up for the 3rd record. I was a bit apprehensive about the title and it turns out my instincts were right, this is the end. But we won’t go without a bang.

The Candles Thieves will always Shine like Stars to Me.  We’re all gonna die have fun will continue to remind me not to let the dark win and my motto will always be we won’t ever be rich but we could be happy. Thank you to helping me scare away the dark and let my light shine. For taking me to darkest corners of my soul with your music so I could emerge the other side Thank you for being so beautiful to me.

“Always sing your song from your heart, and if your journey has a bumpy start, just remember all good things in time”.

I am sure that 2013 will produce another amazing masterpiece that is all’s well that ends well before one last hooray at Chorlton arts festival. I am so sad to say goodbye to a band I love so dearly but we are gonna have a blast before we do.

I want that 3rd album in my hands. NOW.

I love you guys and what you do so much. Good luck with your next adventures.

With so much love,
Hails. x

No comments:

Post a Comment