Wednesday 31 December 2014

My End of Year List of Amazing Things 2014




1. ALBUM THAT SURPASSED ALL OTHERS
Ed Sheeran - X.
 photo edsherran.jpeg
 This could be the best record of the last five years. It really is something truly exceptional. ‘Thinking out loud’ and ‘shirtsleeves’ are most played songs of the year. 

2. ALBUM THAT MADE ME SMILE
The Script - No Sound without Silence.  
 photo The_Script_-_No_Sound_Without_Silence_artwork.jpg
Truth be told this album will never be #3, but I do love some of it. It has moments of genius like ‘Flares’ and ‘Without Those Songs’. These boys do make me smile.

3. MAN I'D LIKE TO BE BEST FRIENDS WITH
Scott McEwan from The Candle Thieves.
 photo scott.png
 Scott is literally the kindest and most humble person I know. It's been an honour to get to know him a little better at gigs this year. He’s an amazing talent.

4. THING YOU'RE MOST SICK OF
Condems. They fuck up our world and get away with it. Nuff said.
 photo cameron-liar.jpg
Honourable mention to Nigel Farage. Racism and idiocy has no place in today’s Britain. He really is the modern day Hitler and that is scary. Please don’t vote for someone with no policies.

5. THING I MOST DESIRED BUT DIDN'T GET
To get to the U.S. of A. 
 photo a16a697d-1e20-4a9c-ad7a-dc62c373e29d.png
So Darren Hayes' one man show didn't happen but I still dream of the US and A.

6. ALBUM THAT MOST STIRRED MY SOUL
Sam Brookes - Kairos. 
 photo kairos.jpg
So many emotional songs. ‘On the mend’, ‘Breaking Blue’, ‘Crazy world and you’ and ‘This is the Place’. It’s made me question what I’m doing here, it’s made me search my soul for answers, and it’s also made my heart sing. Sam is such a talent.

7. MOST STYLISH MAN
Glock of ‘The Candle Thieves’ and ‘Sharks and Bears’ fame. 
 photo c35b94b1-ecc4-4162-8307-cc135ee6da42.jpg
T-shirt, blazer, Jeans. Love that smart casual. 

8. FAVOURITE MUSIC VIDEO
Ed Sheeran - Thinking Out Loud.
The most amazing video with attention to detail. It's the way all the little things add up, like when he spins her around on the floor to be face-to-face. And the way Ed uses her leg as a guitar. It’s such a beautiful video for a beautiful song. 

9. FAVOURITE TELEVISION SHOW
I know it's 2000 and late but ‘Dirty Sexy Money’.
 photo p185540_b_h3_aa.jpg
 I can't believe they cancelled it after only 2 series. It was sooooo good. And even after all these years I’m still in love with Peter Krause from Six Feet Under. 

10. FAVOURITE CHARACTER SINCE E.T
Rocket Racoon from Guardians of the Galaxy.
 photo c46a9291-87cf-4b2e-a460-4b13aa1a68f3.jpg
Bradley Cooper makes my Life.

11. COOLEST ROCK STAR
Matt Healy - The 1975. 
 photo 5c2f22b3-7964-48af-ac44-89422d30c4b5.jpg
I love this band, this man, and all of his demons. I just hope he can overcome his demons and the band have a great future and another album and tour. 

12. BEST PROTEST SIGN
The protests in Russia at the Olympics against Putin's anti gay laws.
 photo 8a193a57-f5f0-48ea-a8e1-8f5e4b6a6d2b.jpg

13. THE THING THE HUMAN RACE WILL BE ASHAMED OF IN 30 YEARS
The same thing every year when I write this blog, Homophobia.
 photo 20131214_gdm947_0.png


14. COOLEST STYLE AND DESIGN ICON
Robbie Williams. Robbie just IS an icon. 
 photo rob.jpg

15. BEST GIG of 2014
The killers – Liverpool o2 Academy. 
 photo 2abb7b7a-581b-4bc2-a345-dbe7df109b16.jpg
Such a dream come true. I’ve longed to see Brandon play the ‘Vince’ character for two years. It was everything I hoped it would be. And the set list was incredible. UNDER THE GUN!

16. FAVOURITE PICTURE(s) YOU TOOK THIS YEAR.
 photo year2014.jpg

17. FAVOURITE SINGLE OF 2014
A Great Big World & Christina Aguilera – Say Something.
This song has so many memories attached to it. It makes me smile. Makes me happy. Makes me sad. My most played single of 2014 and also my favourite.

18. BEST EP OF 2014
Sharks and Bears - What Doesn’t  Break You,  Makes You Strong
 photo 2f31d9bd-1363-42c5-9945-5dc06efd7b82.jpg
It’s been a year of change. I’m happier now than I ever thought possible but at the start of the year when I was going to see Sharks and Bears play gigs with these songs still little seedlings, it was a revelation. ‘Blind man in the Dark’ which eventually became ‘Let It All Go (Up In Smoke)’ literally was my life. It stirred my broken soul and made me feel again. I’d let my ex back into my life, convinced a second chance would work, but he just hurt me all over again and then one day walked out without a trace. It didn’t seem like it then, but that was the start of something. I chose to be happy. I chose to move on. And I’ve got some great friends around me who supported me. I love you, you know who you are.

19. BEST NEW ARTIST OF 2014
Saint Raymond. 
 photo 30e5bae7-debc-4c6b-838e-624a95e77212.png
I seen him at Splendour Festival and then supporting Ed Sheeran. One song struck a chord with me, ‘I Want You’. I love it so much. I need to check this guy out more.

“Should I be on my way? Eliminate the games we play.
Should I be on my way back home?
Should I be on my way? You’re leading me astray.
Should I be on my way back home?
I want you to know that I want you, you know that..”

20. FAVOURITE FILM OF 2014
Maleficent.
 photo 12bed809-a93c-4de7-a863-1cb0fc21577e.jpg
Such a beautiful and magical film. I saw it twice in the cinema and it was the film of choice for my birthday. Good memories. Its animation is so amazing and other-worldly.

21. FAVOURITE INDIE ARTIST OF THE YEAR
Gotta be ‘The Candle Thieves’.
 photo social.jpg
The social jet lag EP, and the few gigs I’ve seen the thieves do this year are some of my favourite moments.

22. THING(S) YOU ACCOMPLISHED THIS YEAR.
Being relatively ok in my own skin. It feels good.

23. A LESSON YOU LEARNED THIS YEAR.
Happiness sneaks in a door you did not think was open

24. MOST PLAYED SONGS  IN 2014
John Legend - All of Me
A Great Big World Feat. Christina Aguilera - Say Something
Rita Ora - I Will Never Let You Down
Tiesto - Red Lights

25. MOST EXCITING DISCOVERY THIS YEAR
You can charge your iPhone twice as quick on airplane mode

26. FAVOURITE MOMENTS OF 2014.
Maroon 5 in Birmingham and london – singing for my life.
Newton Faulkner’s tour. Meeting Olivia and now I cant see her never being a part of my life. Getting into Sam Brookes as well.
The candle thieves comeback in Stamford. Amazing.
Mcbusted. Teen dream realised. Not quite the same without Charlie though.
An amazing birthday weekend in Bristol with Loulou and friends.
Winning tickets to the script at itunes festival
Ed Sheeran and Bryan adams at Nottingham arena. Great gigs.
The Paddington bear trail in london in aid of the NSPCC. I loved that so much.
And one final amazing gig: sam brookes at bath chapel arts centre. A great roadtrip with olive and an amazing gig.

27. MEMORABLE EVENTS of 2014.
Robin Williams Death. It made the world brave and raised awareness for depression. So very important.
Flight MH370 going missing. So sad and puzzling. I hope one day the lost souls are found.
Flight MH17 being shot down. I hope one day we get the truth.


28. THING YOU ARE MOST LOOKING FORWARD TO IN 2015.
The Script's Tour.
The future of Sharks and Bears, and The Candle Thieves.
The Shaun in the City Trail and Bristol Balloon Fiesta.
U2 at the O2!


Here’s to 2015.

“I did it all
I owned every second
That this world could give
I saw so many places
The things that I did
Yeah, with every broken bone
I swear I lived”

No comments:

Post a Comment