Saturday 11 July 2015

Alistair Griffin The Monkey Tree 10/7/15

Amazing gig tonight with Alistair Griffin. A little function room at the Monkey Tree bar in West Bridgford, capacity maybe about 80 people, and he was great. I still love his voice.

It was 2003. I was a 17 year old watching Fame Academy in Ireland. Alistair was always my favourite. Even before he covered my ultimate love, savage garden's 'truly madly deeply'. I bought his debut album and I remember listening to 'Bring it on' and 'You and Me (Tonight)' and wishing of escape. I was in love with my first love who didn't love me, and now I'm 29 and Alistair played a pub just down the road from me in Nottingham. Surreal. Almost a full circle. Never thought life would take this road and our paths would ever meet like they did tonight.

He opened with The Killers Mr Brightside, way to get me on side ;) I loved it. It sounds so good acoustic.

'I wish for you the world'. A song Alistair recorded originally with a choir. It's a beautiful song.

'She loves you'. A Beatles cover. Not a fave song of mine but his voice is beautiful.

'The  one'. A song Alistair recorded originally as a duet. It killed me. It's so beautiful. "We are hopeless, we are young, we are dreamers on the run, but I know, I know right now, you are the one".

Joni Mitchell's 'Both Sides Now'. Alistair joked the only reason people knew it was from love actually. Only reason I know it lol.

'Just drive'. This song brought Alistair back to my attention during the F1 in 2012. I love this song. A lot. Such a gorgeous ballad. "There is a star that lights the road, Will it take me to the end? Well, I don't know But for last time, I take this ride and just drive"

"It's a camp fire song, end of the night, but it's not the end of the night, yet" Ben E. King's stand by me. Such a beautiful song. I love it. Always have.

Then we had Alistair adjusting his strap and talking about snapping the G string. Hahaha. He's talking about a guitar people! Minds out the gutter. HAHAHAHA.

Take that's Rule the World. "There is only about 2 left, Steve?, Jason, Mark" STEVE. Hahahaha.

Take That's back for good. The sing-a-long that was just classic. "I'll be Gary and you be the remaining members of Take That". There was one guy singing 'Roger Black'. It's 'WANT YOU BACK'. *dies laughing*

The Killers 'Human'. Oh my. It was so beautiful. One of my favourite ever songs. Ever. Acoustic it was gorgeous.

Hallelujah. "This song was written by Leonard Cohen, made famous by Jeff Buckley, and to the younger generation, shrek".

"This is an untitled song". It's was a gorgeous song.
"Fly away little bird ... now it's your turn to be free".

Kings of Leon's Sex on Fire. This just seemed ironic as most of the people in the room were over 50 haha. It was fun acoustic.

'The road'. Originally a duet with Kimberley from girls aloud. The song Alistair wrote for the Tour De France's grand depart in Yorkshire in 2014. It's gorgeous. I'd forgot about this song.

Journey's 'Don't stop believing'. Always a classic sing-song ain't it?

Bruce Springsteen's 'If I Should Fall Behind'. "It's not very well known. It's on an album of theirs" I've heard this song somewhere before. Perhaps my dad has played it in the kitchen on the stereo, or maybe I've seen another band cover it somewhere. "I'll wait for you, and if I should fall behind, Wait for me". It's so Beautiful. Alistair's voice is gorgeous on this song. Definitely a highlight.

'I have lived'. An original song of Alistair's. It's gorgeous. I haven't heard it before but I fell in love with it. "And when they bring the news that I was drinking champagne when I died, And my sixth wife will tell the gathered crowds, now please don't cry, You see, my friends, I have lived each moment of each day, And I have lived"

Avicii's 'wake me up'. A great set closer. Such a great dance song, even acoustic it was a dance ditty.

Afterwards I got brave enough to go to speak to Alistair. My heart beat out of my chest just thinking about walking over to him. But I did it, and he was adorable. I reached out and hugged him. 'Nice to meet you' was all I could think of. I didn't really know what to say but Alistair was amazing. He was interested in my life. We talked about Ireland, Nottingham, what brought me here, what I do.. We lamented the disposable nature of the music industry today, talked about bands; The Killers, Ed Sheeran, the feeling, scouting for girls.. Alistair tells me he covers 'spaceman' and 'thinking out loud' as well. Would love to be a fly on that wall.. We talked about Fame Academy and how Lemar was the only other one still doing music really. Then Alistair said he was doing a gig in Mansfield soon, in a cave. I said 'that could work' and we joked about getting places to gigs and stuff and then I said I might come And he joked 'I'm sure there's a bus'. Made me smile. I told him I adored 'The One'. Then I told him again it was nice to meet him and I shook his hand and walked away. Then remembered I wanted a selfie. So I went back and asked for one. He said he like selfies because you can see in your hair doesn't look good and you can adjust it. Too right, I hear you.

Tonight was lovely. I hope a lot of money was raised for cancer tonight. Beverley seems like a lovely lady. The raffle was funny. Just my luck. 86-90 on white won and I had 91-95. And 91-95 won eventually, but on pink.

It was a fun night. I almost didn't go because I didn't want to walk into that bar alone and feel judged. Live music and all the feels from that will always be enough to push me into going and get me over any anxiety I feel. Because music really is my happy place. It takes me somewhere. Someplace else.

Thank Alistair and thank you Beverley.


"Have you ever loved someone,
But you waited just too long,
To tell them what you're feeling.
Maybe I was just too proud,
To say I love you right out loud,
Found the words I must believe in.
On this night, it holds us both within,
Set me free, oh let me live again."

No comments:

Post a Comment