Friday 19 November 2010

at this minute, 6 years ago....

Friday November 19th 2004.

I never forgot that date.

On this minute, at the stroke of 9pm, exactly 6 year ago Darren Hayes walked out on stage in Nottingham. walking out on stage was something he had done many many times before but this was the first time I witnessed it.

It was the day my life changed forever.

I had booked a VIP ticket to the dark/light tour knowing I just HAD TO be there. My first show. Fate had finally got me in the right place at the right time and that night was the turning point in my life.

The tour book was a big reason in why I decided or rather KNEW that night I could never walk away. ‘maybe we will meet in the middle as friends who have more in common that just our taste in music, we are ultimately here because we wanted to feel something, good and bad, dark and light, see you on stage’. Reading that message it didn’t really hit me what Darren meant until I seen the show. I typed it all out and it never left my hard drive.

I went to the gig without knowing anything about what was about to happen. All I knew was Darren could sing and he was about to prove that. I remember sitting after reading the message inside the dark/light tour book and thinking that tonight was going to be heavy. what I wasn’t prepared for was for Darren to bare his soul so freely and to stand and sing unlovable, then turn around and wipe his face and the tears and then sing two beds. At that moment I knew for certain that two beds was about him.


dark/light was the first time I’d ever met another fan. The first time I’d seen a sound check. The first time I’d seen a concert and I’m so proud to say it was Darren’s.

I remember that buzz when the lights go down and the 'star' appears before you. I remember being in shock Darren were actually stood in front of me.

The first song was void. Just Darren, the lights down and arms out reached asking 'doesn’t anyone fill the void'. that was an emotional moment for me. I was 18 and just been left to my own devices.
I’d just come to uni in nottingham, didn’t have a single friend, missed my family so much and I too felt like there was a massive void in my life…. and that song void is still a very special part of my life.


I remember being in awe of how close i was to the stage, centre of the second row, i remember dancing to i like the way, i remember almost crying during dublin sky (that song had become a great part of my life when i was missing ireland so much) and crash and burn. well you all know that song saved my life, and at that moment right then it was a dream come true. for so many years i had sat so badly wanting to see Darren Hayes live. and finally it happened!

I don’t remember much else of the gig to be honest. I remember being in awe of how good Darren’s voice was. I remember him saying 'you look beautiful Nottingham, people at the back I can see ya' and I just felt this incredible connection to every single person in that room that night. I remember laughing during feel with Darren at the piano and I remember coming home and seeing the rest of children in need.













1 comment:

  1. Lovely blog Haily. The feeling that one can get from a concert is amazing.I tend it get a little emotional when that happens b/c the feeling is so overwhelming. So powerful. Kinda like when something in space collides with something else and creates an explosion. I guess that's how to explain it.
    You had awesome seats. Great pictures. I like when he wears the chains. :)

    ReplyDelete