Sunday 2 March 2014

Newton Faulkner – Bournemouth – O2 Academy – 26 Feb 2014


My alarm went off at 5am to get the 6am bus into town and the 7am bus to London. I dunno what the hell is my life has become when a 5am alarm hardly bothers me anymore. I was stuck on the bus for almost 4 hours so got the iPod out. I listened to Sam Brookes album on repeat and the new Snow Patrol song ‘I won’t let you go’ and the RockAteers EP. I love me some good new music. That bus was so hot I thought I was gonna die. And then we got to Golders green and this woman just handed me her baby to look after whilst she went to the toilet. Luckily he didn’t scream or I probably would have too LOL. She came and took her baby back off me and we got to London Victoria uneventfully THANK GOD.

I made a quick pit stop to buy some cool sunglasses in New Look, a ride across London in the underground, quick trip to McDonald’s and then I stood at waterloo, sun shining down, waiting for my train. That is what happiness feels like.

I brought my blackberry playbook to write my tour reviews but a game where a cat catches some fish on a rod and another game building train tracks was much more fun.  No reviews got done LOL. Then I seen the most magical thing as I just happened to glance up from my tablet, a rainbow. I felt blessed. Like it was a sign of something to come.

I got off the train, jumped straight into a yellow taxi and to the hotel. The hotel was beautiful and the staff lovely. I was in love with Bournemouth. I grabbed a taxi down to the venue and got dropped off near the venue as the street was pedestrian access only and promptly got lost. I ended up in the shopping centre looking for directions. Turns out I’d walked past it.

I found the venue and I was the first there. Winning. I saw Lottie arrive and go in but I didn’t bother her. Then Olivia arrived. HAPPY 21ST BIRTHDAY!!!  Turns out Olivia was also in my Travelodge and had also got lost. SMALL WORLD lol.

It wasn’t long before we had entertainment from the locals. I woman who ran up and kissed the venue’s doors as there was a ‘Specials’ poster on it, a drug addict declaring he has peace and doesn’t hate (always good to know), another bloke with a dog (probably drunk or on drugs, or both), and a kid that ran through the pigeons and one pigeon almost flew into a lamppost... I turned to Olivia and said I think we’ve made a mistake.’I think we’ve gone wrong somewhere’ was her reply. It was TOO MUCH FUN queuing. We had such a laugh. And a KFC right across the road. Winning. We (well, Olivia), stole us a poster each from the display outside the venue. STILL WINNING.
Well, we were winning until about an hour before doors. The security staff came out to put barriers out. They asked us to be patient and wait until they had finished and they would tell us what to do. We had got talking to guy in a wheelchair and his partner and hadn’t really noticed the barriers situation. Suddenly there was a new O2 queue with a load of people in it who had just arrived. I asked the security staff what was happening and all I got was a ‘I’m not gonna argue with you’. If you want a fight I will bring it. We’d been there since 4pm and they weren’t even gonna bother to tell us what was going on? She wouldn’t even tell me what end of the line was which. I’ve never seen something so badly organised. We just walked up to the start of the o2 queue and stayed there. I’ll be fucked with not getting in first.
We got barrier no thanks to the venue’s staff and all was good. That poor chap in the wheelchair had to peer over the top of the barrier as the disabled access was upstairs with no lift! Disgraceful. he could just about see :(

Sam Brookes was great. I love his set. And I love the album. ‘Breaking blue’ breaks my heart.


 photo P1760754.jpg
 photo P1760760.jpg
 photo P1760763.jpg
 photo P1760767.jpg
 photo P1760769.jpg
 photo P1760794.jpg
 photo P1760795.jpg
 photo P1760800.jpg

We spotted someone setting up sheet music for the cello and got confused. Intrigued. Turns out Beth was with another band tonight (the powers of twitter stalking) and we had the lovely Jo instead.


 photo P1760806.jpg

Then it was time for Newton :D


1. Where to start

Newton’s vocal is hauntingly beautiful.

“And I watched as the wind blew out the fire in our hearts for each-other
It’s hard to begin with but I know we’ll both learn to love another”


2. Won’t let go

This is now Olivia’s song. Her enthusiasm is infectious.

“You'll find the answers are inside
So you can dry your eyes
Dry your eyes”


 photo P1760812.jpg
 photo P1760821.jpg


3. Long shot

This one was never one of my favourites on the last tour. There was other songs on ‘write it on your skin’ I loved more, but now some of them are out of the set list and this one really shines.

“Look around and you will see,
Broken minds and shattered dreams,
Wasted time”



 photo P1760831.jpg
 
4. I need something

I LOVE this song. I always will. It fascinates me to watch Newton playing the neck of the guitar with two hands.

“And I'm sick and tired of getting nowhere
I guess it'll all work out
And I don't mind anymore”



5. I took it out on you

Newton asked “You guys good?” and then poured himself a cup of tea, whilst declaring “It’s not very rock and roll but it is very functional”.

Newton asked “How's top shelf doing?” *cheers*
“and middle shelf?” *cheers*
“I feel like I don’t have to worry so much about you guys on the floor because I know you’re ok”.

“Now that it's done I'm forgiven
I'll make it up to you I take all the blame”


6. Indecisive

Jo, Sam and Toby joined Newton. I LOVE this song. It sounds so good live.

Newton made and joke and then said: “it’s a three amigos quote, you’re missing out if you don't understand”. I’m clearly missing out lol.

Indecisive, you can't stand silence
Your complicated but I know all that you are,
All that you are”.


7. Treading water

Talented playing, talented song, I just don’t love it.



 photo P1760837.jpg
 photo P1760840.jpg
 photo P1760842.jpg
 

8. Clouds

Newton: “you know earlier when I asked a about the top shelf? I noticed half way through that last song that there's nothing up there except the lighting rig. You compensated well middle shelf”.

Someone was cheering and Newton remarked it sounded like ‘owl noises’ LOL. And there was someone with a banner and a knitted version of Newton. Newton joked he’d seen it half way through the song but shouldn’t be trying to read it whilst playing.

 
Newton looked right at me and sang the line: “something's gonna change". That was a real moment.


9. Teardrop

A real crowd pleaser. I’m glad the crowd settled down a bit and got into the show. It was too rowdy before with people talking.


10. Like I love you (Justin Timberlake cover)

The newly updated version of Justin Timberlake's like I love you (updated an hour before the show) was great. "Can I experiment on you? It’s nothing weird.. Someone just shouted that's a shame" HAHA. 


 photo P1760851.jpg

It was going so well until he couldn't see the words on the page on the floor so stopped and moved the page LOL.



11. At the seams

“This is my clean mic.. and this is the dirty mic. I must admit it has been getting quite out of control at gigs. It’s kinda developing a life of its own, as a character within my own brain, I’m trying to keep him under wraps because last time it was about half an hour of dirty mic. And also I think it might be psychologically dangerous for me
Dirty mic: you alright? Ooh your lip just touched my grill”


Newton checked that he could reach the high note at the end and then nailed the song. He must be incredibly tired but his voice is still amazing.

“as if your life wasn’t hard enough, you chose me”




 photo P1760859.jpg
 photo P1760860.jpg
 photo P1760869.jpg


12. Don’t make me go there

I love this song. Jo and Sam make it so good.

“Please don’t make me go there
There’s no room under my skin”


13. Plastic hearts

Everyone really cheered and went for it, I was expecting great things but the crowd didn’t seem that fussed when Newton was singing the song.

I will confess that when I first heard studio zoo I didn’t fall in love with it right away. But I’ve definitely got a whole new love for it since the tour.

Toby and Sam were having a laugh, clapping their hands behind their back, back to back. I love seeing a happy band up there.

“Plastic hearts and polystyrene dreams is this real love”


14. Waiting on you

I love this song. RELATE.

“When you're alone in the dark
With the monsters under your bed
Shadows on the wall
And the voices inside your head”



 photo P1760873.jpg
 photo P1760874.jpg
 

15. Losing ground

“Dirty mic: Your moustache is tickling the grill again, you ginger bastard. LOL
Clean mic: stop it, it doesn’t like it
Dirty mic: oh I think he does I can see a twinkle
Clean mic: I think you are misreading his eyes again dirty mic
Dirty mic: he loves it
..all of this is gonna be available as a podcast.. no its not”


Dirty mic is becoming one of my favourite bits of the shows.

Definitely falling more in love with this song every night.

“Find me some loaded dice
Why is luck never on my side
In this fight”


 photo P1760877.jpg
 photo P1760878.jpg


16. Soon

Awwww this song is my love. I literally love it SO MUCH.

“Won't ever tire, won't let you crack
I've taken the pressure, won't stop pushing back
Don't know where you are
But know where you're from”


 photo P1760883.jpg
 photo P1760884.jpg
 photo P1760886.jpg

17. Pulling teeth

One day I might get the lyrics right when Newton is looking at me:

“Disagree then we compromise
Tooth and nail over truth and lies
But it's alright
I don't mind at all”


 photo P1760889.jpg
 

18. Write it on your skin

I love this song. We got a decent sing song going tonight with it.

“One song was played with the aid of a record player, I see no reason, no good reason, why the fact that this is an acoustic concert with classy elements, should necessarily mean, there cannot be jumping!”

 

 photo P1760890.jpg

---------------------------------


 photo P1760892.jpg

19. Dream catch me

I still love it as much as the very first time I heard it. It makes me happy.

“Dream catch me when I fall, or else I won’t come back at all”


20. If this is it

Sam's drummer Rob came out for 'if this is it'.  Newton started singing mysterious rob to the tune of Peter Andre’s mysterious girl. ‘Mysterious rob I wanna get close to you’ LOL
Newton: "Why are you mysterious rob?
Rob: because I didn't do anything
Newton: so that added to your mysteriousity? Is that a word?


21. Orange skies

awwww orange skies was great tonight. Bit of a disappointing sing-a-long from the Newton’s left side of the room. The right side sounded amazing though.


 photo P1760894.jpg
 photo P1760895.jpg


All in all it was a great Newton Faulkner show and a lot of fun with Olivia on her 21st birthday. It was a really beautiful venue but they were idiots with security once more once the gig ended. They threw us off the barrier before we could even ask for a set list and then threw us out from the merch desk and into the cold to meet Newton.  A guy actually said to the security that Newton’s sister had said he’s coming to the merch desk. The reply was pretty much we don’t care, that might be her coming, not him.

So outside we went, into the freezing cold. ‘Is it too late to sort the hair’ I asked Olivia. The wind had blown me inside out. Her giggles I assumed meant yes. I gave it a quick brush anyway. I felt bad for Newton (and his family) being out in the cold, and he must have been exhausted. Newton was adorable though and I got the poster Olivia stole for me signed and a hug. Thank you Newton for being lovely. You have my silver sharpie but it's ok, I forgive you because that hug was great ;). A girl had given him a hat and I asked him to get it off lottie for a pic. We needed some random pics. He looked a bit confused at my request.
I love that man.

We had a quick chat with Lottie, she asked what my favourite show was so far and I said I’d have to go with Nottingham because it was randomly strange. Newton agreed it was a strange one.


 photo 1779726_10153917796060512_2131553640_n.jpg
 photo P1770113.jpg
 photo P1770115.jpg

Afterwards Olivia and I headed back to the hotel and ordered a pizza. We chatted about the shows, looked at a few pics and videos, and had a great time. I’m so honoured you chose to spend your 21st birthday with Newton and I. so much fun.

I went up to my hotel room and watched a documentary about sick babies to unwind, I love an hour of TV after a gig, and I love a great documentay. Then it was 2am and bed time. How the hell am I gonna get up at 6:15am to try and see sunrise across the beach?


27th Feb – day after the show.

My alarm went off at 6:15am, I got up, threw my stuff in my bag and headed for the beach with the aid of google maps. LIFESAVER. Sadly the sea fog made sunrise impossible but it was still absolutely amazing. There is nothing more beautiful than the roar of the ocean. I’ve got so much respect for it, and it makes you realise how small and vulnerable we really are. I walked along the cliff’s road until I got to the pier. The sun was shining, it was really cold and windy but it was beautiful. I watched the crazy surfers and the birds for a bit, took a load of pics and then headed for the bus station. Thank god there was a Tesco express to grab breakfast. Ham sandwich and croissant will do nicely.


 photo P1760898.jpg
 photo P1760903.jpg
 photo P1760908.jpg
 photo P1760914.jpg
 photo P1760915.jpg
 photo P1760963.jpg
 photo P1760965.jpg
 photo P1760969.jpg
 photo P1760972.jpg
 photo P1760973.jpg
 photo P1760997.jpg
 photo P1770013.jpg
 photo P1770016.jpg
 photo P1770021.jpg
 photo P1770024.jpg

I found the train station but got lost looking for the coach station. After walking the whole way back round the other side of the station I found my coach stop. The bus driver was lovely, really friendly, he had the heating on low for our comfort and he had a laugh with us.
"We are going direct to London Victoria; we are not passing go or collecting £200". I slept most of the way down to London, probably a bad idea because I woke up feeling like I was dying of a hangover without the alcohol. I loved watching the planes taking off over London as we came down the motorway. When we arrived In London, we were greeted by two bomb disposal vans roaring past us :/ and then another great comment from Neil "welcome to London Victoria arrivals Hall, It’s basically a shed built in the last century". Made me smile.

Off I went into the sunshine and to the underground. It was time for a pit stop at my happy place, The hummingbird bakery in south ken. Eton mess cupcake and red velvet cupcake please :D

I headed to kings cross, jumped on my train to Grantham, had an uneventful change and got back to Nottingham to see it was raining. It was so sunny in Bournemouth. TAKE ME BACK.

The first thing I did when I dragged my weary self through my front door was put the kettle on. I’m morphing into my mother where all I want is a cup of tea. I hugely enjoyed the cupcakes as well. Went down a treat.


Is it Wednesday yet? Excited for the Camden Roundhouse! (and more cupcakes :p).



 


 



No comments:

Post a Comment