Wednesday 5 March 2014

The Candle thieves – Mama Liz’s Voodoo Lounge – 28th Feb 2014


“‘He’s distractingly good looking, sexy as hell”.



Yet another alarm, this time 7:30am, and it was time to go to work. I could actually be so tired I might die after being in Bournemouth yesterday but I ain’t missing this gig tonight for the world. I never thought the day would come when The Candle Thieves would get back together although I knew that both Scott and Glock lived and breathed music and wouldn’t stop playing. Maybe I thought they might get back together one day but didn’t want to dare to let my heart dream. Anyhoo.. SQUEEEEEE.

I finished my half day at work and grabbed a reasonably low calorie lunch. Curse you tour life, you can pack calories. I enjoyed my ‘propercorn’ popcorn, and ‘just ham’ sandwich and got on the train. 


 photo photo1.jpg

There was a woman sat beside me that was driving me NUTS. Why would anyone feel the need to bounce their handbag on their knee for nearly an hour like it’s a small child? ARGH.


 photo photo3.jpg
 photo photo2.jpg

I got to Peterborough and headed to my Travelodge hotel. Thank you google maps. God bless you. The woman at the check in desk was lovely, She asked where I was off to and if I wanted the party floor or the quiet floor. I’ll take quiet please, sleep would be nice. She was really lovely bless her.


 photo photo4.jpg

I chilled out in my hotel room for a bit, watched some programme about chefs making recipes their grandmas used to make. Aww. Made me miss the tastes of N. Ireland. I played some Pokemon for a bit and then got ready. Dress on, make-up on, it’s party time :D.


 photo photo22.jpg
 photo photo12.jpg

I grabbed a subway and headed to the station to get the train to Stamford. Thank you google maps for getting me to Mama Liz’s. 


 photo photo23.jpg
 photo photo13.jpg

I’d literally only just walked into the bar and I got accosted by a bloke old enough to be my father asking for me to come sit with him. Erm, no thanks. I took my vodka and coke and sat elsewhere. There were some serious tunes in the bar. Snap's Rhythm Is a Dancer, and Icona Pop’s I don't care (I love it). TUNES!.


 photo photo32.jpg

Nearer the time for doors we went and stood at the door to the Voodoo lounge where The Candle Thieves would be playing. I got chatting to a guy that’s been a fan since Scott’s old band caffeine, and a couple who recognised me from Chorlton and asked if I was the girl with the blog. That’s me. Sorry I didn’t catch your names. The two guys have some seriously lovely fans.


 photo Untitled.png

I grabbed the last seat on the front row (there only was 4 lol) and made myself comfy. Fleetwood Mac’s – Everywhere was playing. I LOVE THAT SONG. I spotted Scott and Glock’s set lists on the floor and took some pics. I could read the second half of Glock’s and the first half of Scott’s. WINNING. Such a great set list. ‘Little Engine’ was crossed off though. I adore that song. It gives me hope. I was so excited to see ‘Ocean of Storms’ just squeezed into the set though. That song kills me.


 photo P1770029.jpg
 photo P1770033.jpg
 photo P1770037.jpg

I got chatting to the lady beside me who was from Essex, Turns out she’s really lovely. I found her on twitter after the show :)

I wasn’t too keen on the first support act but I liked the second. Didn’t catch either of their names though :/ The guys joined them onstage for song.


 photo P1770038.jpg


 photo photo42.jpg
 photo photo5-1.jpg


Then it was time for THE CANDLE THIEVES.
The boys came on stage looking smart in blazers. Scott picked up his guitar, obviously newly restrung as the strings hadn’t been cut LOL.


1.  Sharks and Bears

Scott lifted the percussion stick for the xylophone and it all seemed to come flooding back. Man I’ve missed this band.

And I still love this song.  Who couldn’t smile and love a song with the lyric:

“Sometimes I dream of sharks, sometimes I dream of bears”


2. My Little Room

This song kills me. I still love it. It reminds me of my bedroom in Ireland. It’s still my favourite safe haven.

“Don’t wake me from my little room, in my little room is where I’m safe”


 photo P1770048.jpg

3. Breathing (Just For You)

There was a moment during this song that I was just FLOORED by Scott's vocal. I LOVE his voice. SO MUCH.

“your heart slept today but my soul kept awake… your words were my lifeline I tried this time to reach out, breathe in, and breathe out, breathing just for you”


 photo P1770052.jpg
 photo P1770054.jpg


4. Ocean of Storms

This song. Oh my. It’s made me cry many times. When I first heard it in Chorlton it hit me square in the chest. Some songs you just relate to on a whole different level, they grab your soul and ease your heart.

I’ve spoken so openly about my struggles with depression and this song is 4 and 1/2 minutes of what depression feels like some days. The storm that you know is coming and you feel powerless to stop it. And you dig deep, and ultimately love brings you a little light.

I adore this stripped back live version. It sounds so so beautiful.

“When you’ve given up, and you’ve lost the will to fight,
 only love, only love, only love can see you right.
When the darkness comes and you need a little light,
only love,  only love, only love can see you right”.



5. Not the Only One

I FREAKIN’ love this song. SO MUCH. And I did not know that Glock was using a recorder as a drumstick until I seen it with my own eyes. GENIUS. Lol.

Glock was trying to do keys, glockienspiel and the drum and was getting a bit snowed under so a guy from one of the support bands came and done the drum for him. TOO funny.  Scott made a comment that they were a bit rusty but I don’t think I could do three things at once either. 

“But there’s a man in a suit and he feels the way you do, in Toyko”  - I LOVE that line. The words, the melody, Scott’s vocal.

“…and don’t let go, you’re not the only one”

look close enough you can see the recorder:


 photo P1770055.jpg


 photo P1770059.jpg
 photo P1770060.jpg
 photo P1770061.jpg
 photo P1770062.jpg


 photo P1770069.jpg
 photo P1770070.jpg


6. The State That I'm in

This one is genius. Scott on xylophone, Glock on glockenspiel.

“I’m sorry I am not enough.. I don’t fit in to this life..”

Then Scott stood back from the mic and sang so beautifully. So much heart and soul in his voice.

“…Don’t fit in to your life”.


 photo P1770072.jpg
 photo P1770073.jpg
 photo P1770075.jpg
 photo P1770077.jpg


7. Don’t Grow Up Too Soon

Scott mentioned that he had a 10 month old son (CONGRATS!!!) and that Glock also has a son and this song was for them. Its super cool that Scott is also a dad and that the two boys will grow up being best friends like their daddies.

The smile on Scott’s face when he spoke about his son was just the most heart-warming thing. AWWW.

One of the things that draws me to this band is their Self-deprecation.

“Your good looks come from your mother’s side, you don’t ever have to hide”.
You guys are AWESOME. Believe it.

I love this song lyrically.

“The more you know the less you understand….Don’t grow up too soon when the weight of the world starts pulling on you”.

TRUTH.

 

8. Stars

THIS SONG. This song is the reason that I’m a fan. Darren Hayes tweeted a link to a live performance of this song at the end of 2009 and the rest is history. I just love it so much. Lyrically, musically.. just everything about it is great.

With all these constellations
You shine in the dark
You shine like stars to me”

Scott went on a wander around the room and Glock was following him with the glockienspiel, before he sat down on the floor in front of the bar to play it. It was so adorable. Scott came back onto the stage and he looked a little bit choked up and he apologised and said he didn’t think he’d ever get to sing that song again. That broke my heart. I’m so glad the boys are back.

Scott grabbed the shaker off Glock’s keyboard, started to shake it and said “I'm so nervous I can’t stop shaking”. Nice joke Scott but Glock does them better LOL.

Then it was time for the sharks and bears segment of the show:


-------------------------------------
Sharks and bears:


9.  The Bed That I Have Made

The first of two sharks and bears songs; this is a new one that will hopefully be on Glock’s New EP being recorded in April. I fell in love with it. Piano driven goodness.

“She says she’s changing…  and she’s changing soon”

I love the way it changes perspectives between “the bed that I have made” and “the bed that she has made”.

It reminds me of an ex that didn’t deserve my time.

Then Glock remarked it was about the innocence of prostitution. LOL

I did video this one but out of respect for Glock seeing as it’s an unreleased song, I won’t be uploading the video. Maybe one day when the EP is released and if the song makes it on there.


 photo P1770081.jpg


10. Blue

Glock said he formed sharks and bears when the band split up and he feels a bit silly now but is gonna keep sharks and bears anyway. I’m glad, sharks and bears is a great band too.

It was great watching Glock build the loop up :)

"When it all turns to blue, and there's no-one around
Keep doing what you do, and don't ever doubt
I see all the colour in you
It’s not all blue, not all blue"

I got given a refresher bar from Glock. He was handing them out during the song. Then at the end of the song he said ‘Sorry about the refresher bars, I’ve been on a refresher course this week” LOL. TOO FUNNY. 



--------------------------------------


11. Try Again

OH MY. This song. Just Scott on guitar. It so very nearly made me cry. I don’t even know why I’m so attached to it. I just love it. Scott’s vocal is so hauntingly beautiful. And I love its melody. It’s literally my most played song on iTunes and I’ve only had it 5 months.

I was determined not to cry in front of the guys but when I got home and watched my video back, it got me. So beautiful.

“it’s ok, say what you want to say, nothing good comes easy, something has to change” 



12. The Sunshine Song

This was great and really fun. a fave of mine.

" 'cause you are beautiful,
but you've got to die someday,
you know we can't stay young forever
but we can stay young for the rest of our days"


13. My Love Will Clap its Hands

Glock held out the sparkler to me. I’m always the shy one, never wanting attention, so I didn’t reach for it. Even when I still didn't reach for it and someone else was going to, Glock continued to hold it out to me until I took it. Thank you Glock for pushing me out of my comfort zone. Sometimes people see something in you that you don’t see in yourself.


 photo P1770082.jpg

Glock was pissing about with recorder after this song. Scott remarked: “The next song is actually a really serious song and he’s just done that”. Naughty Glock. 

 

 photo P1770092.jpg


 photo P1770084.jpg
 photo P1770085.jpg


14. Bright Lights

This song is one of my favourites, purely for Scott’s bravery. I don’t need to tell you what the song is about, that’s not my story to tell, but go and listen to it. I’m so proud of you Scott and one of the reasons I love this band so much is because of its raw honesty.

“Shine, bright lights, shine.
Don’t hurt my eyes. 
Been dark too long,
And not at night.
 No bright lights”
                         


 photo P1770093.jpg

15. The Weatherman

Still one of my favourite songs. You know the lyrics speak the truth.

“it’s not the weatherman’s fault, it’s really mine”

“there's room round these parts for a silver lining you just gotta ignore the lightning”


16. We Won’t Ever Be Rich (But We Could Be Happy)

This song took me back to when the guys supported Darren Hayes in an instant. SO MUCH FUN. I love this song, it was definitely a highlight.

That bit when Glock does the really high and really long notes for "that's whyyyyyyyyy? Well Glock burst out laughing because a balloon that was balanced on his mic stand felt off and got in the way. I almost died laughing.

The big party popper at the end was funny. Scott wasn’t sure what to do with it to make it go off and then it just went everywhere. Glock was just happily eating his candy sticks. HAHA.


 photo P1770094.jpg


17. We’re All Gonna Die (Have Fun)

I adore this song. This song was when I knew for certain this band was really special. I still have the handwritten lyrics on my chest of drawers and I see them every morning when I get ready to leave the house. It reminds me to look for the good times in the day.

“There was a time in my life I couldn't look at the sky
a time so dark I couldn't see any light….
Get out of your bed and get your music on
Get out on the street and get some living done”


 photo P1770098.jpg
 photo P1770099.jpg
 photo P1770100.jpg

18. Singapore

Before Singapore, Scott said: “this is our last song, but you know if you want us to come back you could shout encore ... *he then gave some hilarious alternatives we could shout, which I can’t remember for the life of me* and then said “Yeah, maybe just stick with encore”. Too Cute.

Then he asked if they could go off and come back as they’ve never got to do that before. It never even dawned on me they don’t get to do that. LET’S GIVE THEM THE ENCORE.

Someone knocked a glass over at the start of the song. I giggled. Scott got distracted and lost the words. Glock played on. So funny. These boys are too adorable.

Leaving Singapore kills me. It’s so beautiful. I love this song. It was strange it so see Scott put his guitar down and stand at the mic with both hands.

I was listening to it on the album earlier and it made me cry. Not because I felt happy or sad, but just that I FELT. These boys move me.



------- Encore - -----


The guys left the stage and came back on again. Scott came back on and picked up his guitar. Glock came back on, sat down, and was happily was eating his candy sticks again LOL. Scott said he didn’t think he’d ever had that before (an encore).

Scott said it was a real privilege to be in a band with Glock, ‘He’s distractingly good looking, sexy as hell..” HAHA. Glock was definitely hamming it up and enjoying it. Scott said when they split they didn’t think they would get back together but it was only a few weeks before he called Glock up.

Then someone shouted ‘why did you split up?’. Glock said ‘it all fell apart when we made love’. Scott’s reply was ‘that old chestnut’. HAHA. Then Scott tried his best to explain. He said they were best of friends but it was becoming harder and harder to do the gigs and find the time. He said they felt like if they weren’t in a position to give it everything it wasn’t fair on the fans but that when they got back together they agreed to only do stuff they wanted to do. Scott was kinda struggling to explain and then looked at Glock and said: “this is so awkward..you’re just sat there eating candy sticks, you know what I mean, help me out” (Glock really was eating candy sticks).

Glock then said he felt the same. (That he felt privileged to be in the band with Scott). The 
boys have got big love for one another. So lovely to see their friendship so strong.


 photo P1770101.jpg
 photo P1770102.jpg
 photo P1770103.jpg
 photo P1770104.jpg
 photo P1770106.jpg
 photo P1770107.jpg

19. Honey, I’m Home

Scott said he was glad to be back doing gigs with the band and that this was their last song.
Such a sweet song and a great one to keep for the end of the set.

“You know at the end of the day
I’m happy that I get to say
Honey, I’m home
Honey, I’m home
Honey, I’m home”

 

----------- 2nd encore---------

Basically everyone went mental once they left the stage and they had to come back. Wahoo.


20. Anabelle’s song

Scott explained that this was a song everyone was asking for on the Chinese tour. Glock forgot how the melody went so whilst he figured it out Scott said he hoped this song would do as the last song as they didn’t have anymore. LOL.

I still love this lyric:

“Annabelle loves weekends away
with her boyfriend who is black
she says daddy never would approve
and it's fucked that people think like that”

Then I got given a red balloon by Glock. AWWWWW. Always wanted one.



 photo P1770108.jpg
 photo P1770109.jpg


Afterwards.

Everyone gathered around the merch desk to speak to the guys. I held back.I had another Vodka and coke. I met a really lovely Darren fan called Kirsty? And a few others. Joined in bits of conversations. Why of all the things to tell the guys did I have to tell them about the first night I seen them when I was really drunk at Darren Hayes NYE party in 2011? EMBARASSING. And I didn’t exactly find the most diplomatic words for asking how the people of china know who the band are. Sorry guys. You know I love you and I’m just crap at talking.

Then it occurred to me I’d held back too long as there was no one left to take my picture and it was a bit weird asking the guys to sign my postcard ticket then. Grrr. I could shout at myself sometimes.

I’m so glad I got to talk to Scott for a bit about life and stuff in general. Work, Gigs…how life was treating us... It was so nice to have the time to chat for a bit. We put the world to rights. Something Scott said to me stuck with me. We were talking about Darren Hayes and his partner Richard and what’s happening in Russia and stuff and Scott said “I don’t know about you but I didn’t need to be told that being gay was ok”. I agreed with him. I remember being about 13 or 14, and understanding sexuality and I was just cool with it. It didn’t faze me. You are who you are. Carry on. Scott said he’d written the 2nd verse of Balloon #3 about the spate of gay teens committing suicide in America a few years ago. When I got home the day after the gig I listened to it again. So inspiring and so sad. 'Don’t let go of your balloon'. Then I played the rest of the balloons album. It felt as inspiring as it did on that first play, 5 March 2012.


Thank you so much guys for tonight. . Two of the nicest, kindest blokes.  And an extra special thank you to Scott for his kindness, it means the world. Thank you, from the bottom of my heart. Those guys really do have hearts made of gold. I’m so proud to call myself a fan. I absolutely LOVED the gig tonight. The most fun times.

As soon as I got back to the hotel, I turned the tv on, I got into bed and the post gig blues set in. I just felt so sad I didn't know when I was next gonna see them play again. But there will be an again and that's the most amazing thing. I'm so glad they are gonna carry on. No matter how much or little they do, they are back, with fire in their bellies for the band again.


The morning after.

You know a gig is good when you wake up, open your eyes, and the first thought on your mind is "did last night really happen?". That feeling doesn’t happen often. It’s rare. It seemed so surreal. I'd almost forgotten how happy the band makes me. It was a gorgeous sunny day. Hello spring. goodbye winter. Onwards and upwards. No looking back. I felt good. Maybe I can ride on the crest of the high of the gig for a little while longer.


 photo photo14.jpg
 photo photo13-1.jpg

It was interesting trying to get a red balloon home to Nottingham but I did it, it didn't let go ;)


 photo photo33.jpg
 photo photo24.jpg
 

When I got home to Nottingham I had a look on Glock’s twitter page and discovered he is doing a sharks and bears show in London on the 14th March. Little bit of detective work on google, a tweet to the man himself, and I’ve battered the credit card. I definitely won’t ever be rich, but I will be happy.
 

7 comments:

  1. Aw! I love that blog, hun! Sounds like there was a lot of love and fun at the gig. Wish I could've been there but I'm older than you and all the travelling can take it out of me what with Manchester and a late train home the day before. Smiled when I saw one of my little bears in the pics. Glad it found his way on stage again! :) What a lovely evening for you AND you got to see a little of the delightful Peterborough *cough, splutter* x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Life is good when you have your love ones around you, I am

      saying this because when i had issues with my lover i

      never seen life as a good thing but thanks to DR.AKHERE ,

      for helping me to cast a spell that brought my lover back

      to me within the space of 48hours. My husband left me for

      another woman after 4YEARS of marriage,but DR.AKHERE help

      me cast a spell that brought him back to me within

      48hours. I am not going to tell you more details about

      myself rather i will only advise those who are having

      issues in there relationship or marriages to contact

      DR.AKHERE TEMPLE through these details via;
      (AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com)

      Delete
  2. I Want to tell the world about a great man called Dr.Agbazara of AGBAZARA TEMPLE for bringing joy into my marriage after 2years of divorce from my husband and my 4kids, i have don everything to bring them back to my life because i love them so much so a friend introduced me to a spell caster last month who did every thing spiritually and bring them back within 48hours, now we are together and happy even more than we where before. You can contact this great spell caster to solve your own relationship problems via email like i did on: (agbazara@gmail.com) OR call +2348104102662

    From USA

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have been all over looking for solution to my Marriage until i tried out the internet, I found a Dr AGBAGIE whom people talked about and shared good testimonies about him, My Husband has decide to leave our marriage, because he said he can't stand my mom, But i love my Husband so much that i can let him leave after 8years of marriage. So the Dr AGBAGIE did changed the whole problems and issue to testimony, He did a spell to calm and reconcile my mom and my Husband and then carryout a spell to make my husband love me more and remain in our marriage. I saw results after 2days and to be frank, this Dr AGBAGIE is a God sent. My family is as peaceful and lovely as i asked for..I'm grateful.friends in case you need the help of Dr AGBAGIE kindly mail him on (agbagietemple@gmail.com ) or call him on +2348052849204, Sir i will forever recommend you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have been all over looking for solution to my Marriage until i tried out the internet, I found a Dr AGBAGIE whom people talked about and shared good testimonies about him, My Husband has decide to leave our marriage, because he said he can't stand my mom, But i love my Husband so much that i can let him leave after 8years of marriage. So the Dr AGBAGIE did changed the whole problems and issue to testimony, He did a spell to calm and reconcile my mom and my Husband and then carryout a spell to make my husband love me more and remain in our marriage. I saw results after 2days and to be frank, this Dr AGBAGIE is a God sent. My family is as peaceful and lovely as i asked for..I'm grateful.friends in case you need the help of Dr AGBAGIE kindly mail him on (agbagietemple@gmail.com ) or call him on +2348052849204, Sir i will forever recommend you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Life is good when you have your love ones around you, I am

    saying this because when i had issues with my lover i

    never seen life as a good thing but thanks to DR.AKHERE ,

    for helping me to cast a spell that brought my lover back

    to me within the space of 48hours. My husband left me for

    another woman after 4YEARS of marriage,but DR.AKHERE help

    me cast a spell that brought him back to me within

    48hours. I am not going to tell you more details about

    myself rather i will only advise those who are having

    issues in there relationship or marriages to contact

    DR.AKHERE TEMPLE through these details via;
    (AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Every time i take a look back at what had happened to me i will always appreciate the great Dr Agbazara ( agbazara@gmail.com ) for what he has done for me. This spell caster brought back my lover, who left me just for no reason. I met the great spell caster and he told me all i need to do! Now am glad Dr Agbazara brought him back and he love me more than he used to! you can also contact him on his active Email address ( agbazara@gmail.com ) or add him on Whats-app: ( +2348104102662 ).




















    Every time i take a look back at what had happened to me i will always appreciate the great Dr Agbazara ( agbazara@gmail.com ) for what he has done for me. This spell caster brought back my lover, who left me just for no reason. I met the great spell caster and he told me all i need to do! Now am glad Dr Agbazara brought him back and he love me more than he used to! you can also contact him on his active Email address ( agbazara@gmail.com ) or add him on Whats-app: ( +2348104102662 ).






















    ReplyDelete