Monday 10 March 2014

Newton Faulkner – Camden Roundhouse – London – 5th March 2014.

Another day, another 7am alarm and another road trip. This time it’s a 10am bus to London for the last Newton Faulkner show for me. Show 5 of 5. I don’t want this to end, it’s so much fun.

The sun was rising when I pulled the curtains. TOO EARLY.


 photo 1975094_10153941617680512_735175924_n.jpg

I packed my bag, (getting a bit of a pro at it now) and got myself ready to go. The bus down to London was fairly uneventful. 


 photo 1186842_10153941617930512_960482038_n.jpg

I listened to The Candle Thieves albums on repeat and then it was London time. The sun was shining and London looked beautiful. Coat off, sunnies on. I headed across from Victoria to kings cross to check into the pin tin motel, sorry, European Hotel :D. It was as delightful as ever :/ To be honest could have done without cutting my finger open trying to get out of the toilet (I was trapped as the latch was broken!) but C'est la vie.


 photo 1186002_10153941618425512_594804496_n.jpg


 photo 1530447_10153941617850512_1497772688_n.jpg

I quickly got changed, done my make-up, grabbed a burger king and headed the venue.
I feared I hadn’t had enough sleep and patience to deal with idiot commuters. First there was the person that laughed as jumped got out of her way when she was running for her coach, bitch next time you can go around me and miss your coach! And then there were the idiot tourists that jumped through the gate on the underground and held the gate open whilst about 5 others went through. That’s my card that’s touched in, not yours. Grrrrr.

Chalk farm tube station was 3 minutes from the venue and still I had to consult google map lol.  I found my gig buddy Olivia and her friend Claudia and we had a great time queuing. Olivia literally makes me laugh until my stomach hurts. I told her this, her reply ‘You’re welcome’. Some people you just click with, and Olivia is one funky lady. Claudia and Olivia singing ‘Soon’ to each other, and Olivia’s catchphrase “OMG GUYS I’M SO EXCITED”.
Hails: Why are you this excited when you weren’t last week?
Olivia: Well I spent 4 days watching everything on youtube and got myself sooooo excited.
LOL. Nutter.

We had a great laugh trying to take pictures of the statue of the man on the roundhouse roof only for a seagull to come and land on it as I was trying to get pictures. 


 photo 1898173_10153941619990512_41365623_n.jpg


 photo 1969221_10153941619300512_1958840323_n.jpg

 photo 1780716_10153941619350512_1093967509_n.jpg

 photo 1557430_10153941619110512_1277371488_n.jpg


We ‘read’ heat magazine, debated what Gary Barlow would look like without his shirt on (FIT), and ate some disgusting Geo cereal bars. I got my ticket from the box office thanks to the amazing staff and all was good. So much stress the past few weeks when crowd surge lost my ticket and all they had to do was send it to the box office, who gave me my ticket an hour before doors. So relieved.


 photo 1506734_10153941620215512_1453130869_n.jpg

Everything was happy and great until they put the barriers out and it was free for all. NO MANNERS. All was good in the end because when the doors opened, the people that pushed in didn’t get past us anyway as the ticket scanner wasn’t working on their side. I wouldn’t wish that on anyone but I will say one thing; KARMA.

Once inside it was a really long wait. We’d been made stand up outside at 5pm, then get inside at 6:30 and stand for another 30 minutes before being let into the hall. Then it was another hour before Sam. Too much standing equals sore feet and a grumpy hails. The venue wouldn’t let us put coats on the barrier, so unnecessary, no one is gonna faint at a newton Faulkner acoustic show, this isn’t Justin Bieber. Putting your coat at your feet means you have less room to shuffle your feet and keep them from dying. And some random idiot behind me smuggled in pringles cans and was having his own picnic in a bag which he dumped on top of my foot. DON’T THINK SO. I might have said yes if you’d have asked, I’m not looking after your picnic for you! And there seemed to be TOO MANY IDIOTS pushing from the left hand side. Soon I was left standing on one foot, unable to move to shift my weight and being squished. There is NO NEED for that kind of behaviour. By the end I was an entire person’s space further along :(

Then it was time for Sam Brookes. Some great music for 30 minutes :D. I love this guy and his voice.


1. Intro

I love how Sam just walks onto the stage, no introduction and just sings and silences people. When he walked onto the stage tonight his smile was infectious. Sam Brookes, AT THE ROUNDHOUSE. You could see it written all over his face that it meant the world to him.

“Down in the bleak I can hardly see.  You often shine a light for me. I cannot be heard. I hear your every word”. 

Beautiful.


2. Numb

I love watching Sam play the guitar on this track. He plays so beautifully.

“From a long line of doing it wrong, I strike a melody to see me right. But where is my love, does she think of me in the dead of night”.

So heartbreakingly gorgeous.


3. James

This is one of my faves and one that instantly grabbed me when I first seen Sam on this tour in York.
I LOVE its fun and lively melody.

“James, don’t forget yourself when you’re across the water. Though sirens sing songs of love, do they know what you’re made of, because you might not”

“Though the arms of a lover can be so oh comforting, we all need a little warning, sometimes James”

Love it.


4. The design

“I wrote this song when I first moved to London”.

I love this song.
Another great lively melody.

“… but am I too self-assured, is my idea of beauty flawed, will I find myself back at the drawing board”

“..Where the living costs and the price of a pint is no joke, I put my foot on the first rung but is my head full of songs I’ve already sung”

“Met your maker, see their Designs, don’t fear what you may find”.

I love this song. The only song off Sam’s first record in this set list and he’s definitely grown so much as an artist since then. His honesty and doubt is something so endearing.


5. Breaking Blue

Literally my favourite Sam Brookes song. It grabbed me at the first show in York and has had me ever since.

Electric guitar, it just sounds so beautiful. And it’s lyrically so gorgeous.

“I’m not sure of how I feel, if what I touch is even real, this plastic love just hangs around… There is a love, there is a light, every time such a fight, I want to start a new, look to the sky for breaking blue”

“..if I take another drug just for the sake, this plastic love will hang around, What I need is good friends, a warm hand to help me mend” - *cough , over here, cough* Sam is literally such a cutie.

I got a little emotional during this song, I was hoping it wasn’t a sign of things to come.

 

6.  This Is the Place

This song has definitely grown on me. Such fun live.

“Getting tired but I am strong, mindless demons they do me wrong, waiting on the wind of change, we’ve thrown it all but it stays the same”

“Let the grip go that holds that smile in your face, then you’ll find, then you’ll find, this is the place, this is the place”. 

Definitely a RELATE song. I love it so much.


7. Crazy World and You

“I’ll be the light in your night, the weakness you’ll never fight. Surrender to my arms… may you never doubt the beauty that you are”

“Escape from the crowds just to be close now. Out in the countryside, where it feels like there’s just the crazy world and you.

“Take this heart of mine, oooooh, take this heart of mine”.

OUT IN THE COUNTRYSIDE. Best sing-a-long EVER. Actually not sure we done the sing-a-long at the roundhouse, but it was fun the other nights.

I was sad when Sam’s set was over. 30 minutes isn’t enough. I love his voice. That 30 minutes went TOO QUICK. Roll on his show at Nottingham Malt Cross on April 1st.


 photo sam1.jpg
 photo sam2.jpg
 photo sam3.jpg
 photo sam4.jpg
 photo sam5.jpg
 photo sam6.jpg
 photo sam7.jpg
 photo sam8.jpg
 

Then it was time for Newton Faulkner. SQUEEEEE. I almost didn’t want it to start because I didn’t want it to end.


1. Where to start

I love this song as the opener. On walks Newton, everyone screams, he steps up to the mic and everyone falls silent.

Nothing, Inside and I do not know where to start
Just feels right”


 photo P1770205.jpg


2. Won’t let go

This song has now been renamed Olivia’s song. It will always be fun and always remind me of how much she loves it.
It’s so much fun as it starts.

“Go take more than you need
Its taken hold of me, its taken hold of me
Now you're looking for a rise
You won't get one from me,
Won't get one from me”

And love how it builds and builds. Then Newton unplugs the guitar and singing into the sound hole, plugs the guitar back in, plays on, and then lets the song build some more, until it’s ending. It’s so good live.

“Give it time, let it breathe for a while
You won't let go but you're still falling back to earth
Back to earth”



3. Long shot

I’m still obsessed with the lighting on this song. The green and orange lights, the projection of the trees, it reminds me of my beautiful Ireland.

AND THIS CHORUS!

“It's such a long shot,
Everything that we've got,
Just living on this rock,
Surrounded by the sea.
With our shoes off,
Balancing on rooftops,
You put your faith in preachers,
I put my faith in me”

SUPER FUN.

 

 photo P1770215.jpg
 photo P1770213.jpg
 photo P1770210.jpg

4. I need Something

This was literally one of my favourite moments ever. Newton’s gaze always seems to be 2 or 3 people to his right of the centre. I hoped that meant me. It wasn’t long before I found out. I was literally singing for my life and Newton was singing it back to me. The most amazing moment ever. This is one of my favourite ever songs and it was just amazing to have that connection with him.

It was definitely emotional.


 photo P1770216.jpg
 photo P1770217.jpg
 photo P1770218.jpg

5. I took it out on you

This song has stolen my heart all over again since this tour began. The most beautiful melody.

Newton hit a few bum notes on the strings at the start but carried on like a pro.

“Until the end you'll be my friend no matter what I do”

The cello that kicks in on the second verse is just great. I love it.



6. Indecisive

This is one of my favourite moments in the show. Straight from ‘I took it out on you’ into ‘indecisive’.
Everyone clapping, so much fun.

Beth and Newton singing on the chorus is beautiful. I love Sam and Toby’s vocal on it as well. The cello just adds to its melancholy. Beautiful.



7. Treading water

I love watching Newton play this. His concentration is second to none.

 

 photo P1770223.jpg
 photo P1770224.jpg

8. Clouds

Another amazing moment. Me singing for my life and Newton Faulkner singing it to me. It was a moment. This is one of my favourite ever songs, I was so freaking happy in that moment.


9. Teardrop

Teardrop went down an absolute STORM tonight. The crowd was LOVING it so much. I love how he drops it into the set on the back of everyone still cheering and clapping at the end of indecisive.

“love love is a verb, love is a doing word”.


10. Like I love you (Justin Timberlake cover)

“Can I experiment on you? It’s by no means finished just something I have been working on”.

I wasn’t prepared for what happened next. The first part was amazing, Newton’s improved it so much since I first seen it in York. The second part wasn’t quite there yet in Bournemouth but it was incredible tonight. I turned to Olivia and shouted ‘he’s got it licked’. Then he turned the guitar over onto its back and was using it as a drum WHILST still playing the strings even though they were facing the floor. AMAZING. His talent floors me. You can tell he’s worked very hard on it since last week. I bow down to him.


 photo JT.jpg



11. At the seams

Newton said that they were coming to end of the tour and it sucks and he didn’t know what he was gonna do with himself.  “We should do this annually, or bi-annualy”…*someone shouted next week* “Next week? I dunno about next week.. I have this thing”

“This is the dirty Mic, it’s got slightly different views on life it has *insert west country accent here LOL*. I’m not entirely control of it, it did go on a 20 minute rampage about a week ago… oh your ginger whiskers are tickling my grill… I’m gonna do a song”.


I LOVE THIS SONG. Sooooo much. Always have, always will. I love it live when it’s sung through the dirty mic. Amazing.

“Just in case anyone was worried, that was the highest note in the show tonight, because I can’t actually go any higher than that”



12. Don’t make me go there

I love this song. The cello makes it. Love Beth.

“Please don’t make me go there
There’s no room under my skin
Please don’t make me go there
‘Cause I’m helpless once you’re in
Don’t make me feel”

 

13. Plastic hearts

“Please welcome Beth Porter, Sam Brookes and Toby Faulkner.  You might recognise his eyes, or his nose, or his genes, he is my brother. I was introducing him as brother toby but people thought he was religious”. Toby was frantically shaking his head. Made me smile.

This song is definitely far more fun than I first gave it credit for. Love the clapping along, Sam and Toby having fun with it.

Great harmony we got going as well. Loved it. I ended up on the side with the hard harmony again. Gah. Newton joked that the left side (our side) needed some serious lung capacity and smokers might want to switch LOL.



14. Waiting on you

Awwww this song.  It makes me think of Newton’s son.

“Climbing up on my shoulders
I'll show you how the world looks through an old man's eyes
All this is waiting on you”

 I love this song so much.

“When you're alone in the dark
With the monsters under your bed
Shadows on the wall
And the voices inside your head
It isn't always easy
Traveling on a winding road when you lost your way
All this is waiting on you”

Definitely a relate song.


 photo P1770250.jpg
 photo P1770251.jpg
 photo P1770252.jpg
 photo P1770254.jpg


15. Losing ground

Dirty mic was being rather tame tonight. Newton did actually apologise to his mum as well. He made a quick comment about it being a dirty rascal and then launched into the song.

This song has become so much fun, the kick drum, everyone clapping.  I think I finally just about managed to get the claps right now that it’s my last show lol.


 photo P1770257.jpg
 photo P1770256.jpg


16. Soon

This song will always be one of the closest songs to my heart. It really moved me.

“The darker the night
The brighter you burn….
For once in your life
It's gonna be alright
It's coming”

I just relate to this so so much.


17. Pulling teeth

SO MUCH FUN. I’ve totally changed my mind about this song. I love it. And it appears I now can’t run around the house singing it without doing the clapping LOL.

“Oh it’s been like pulling teeth” *clap clap* LOL


18. Write it on your skin

I LOVE THIS SONG SOOOOOO MUCH.

Newton giggled and smiled. I looked around. There was a guy got up on this mate’s shoulders, with his t-shirt pulled up around his neck, and he’d written on his chest “I wrote it on my skin”. Genius. Made me smile too.

Newton’s smile when the crowd started singing ‘life is like a music box…’ without being prompted. I love this sing-a-long. I do miss when the crowd was split into harmonies to sing but Sam and Toby are cool.

“I know this has been a mainly acoustic concert, but it did have some classy elements, sam brookes from the neck up, toby's hat, but I don’t see why there can’t be jumping. People upstairs this might be a little dangerous so i will meet you half way with head-banging are you with me?”. LOL.

Thank God for the jumping. As soon as Newton began counting into the jumping everyone spaced out and I could breathe and stand on both legs again. WINNING.


 photo P1770258.jpg

Encore
---------------------------------


 photo P1770260.jpg

19. Dream catch me

Awwwwww. I still love it. Such an amazing sing-a-long tonight. SO LOUD.


 photo P1770263.jpg
 photo P1770266.jpg
 photo P1770265.jpg
 photo P1770288.jpg


20. If this is it

A guy shouted ‘do you use your dreads as a pillow’.
Newton replied: Use my dreads as a pillow? I’m kinda in the middle of something.

This song almost got to me tonight. This was it. My last show. Can’t I just go on tour with Newton forever? Please?

“But if I had one chance to freeze time
And stand still and soak in everything,
I’d choose right now”.

“Just don’t want this to end just yet,
Not just yet”.

I still love this song as much as the very first time I saw it live, Shepherd’s bush, Oct 2009.



21. Orange skies

The harmonies were great. I appeared to have gone to the wrong side again tonight. The right (Newton’s left) gets a much easier bit. Not that I can sing a single note anyway but that’s not the point.

It was a great sing-a-long. I still think Birmingham was the best though. That was incredible.

This song seemed to mean so much tonight, Orange skies being written about London.

“I can feel it in my bones,
it’s London calling me
Hoooo, ooooOOOoome”


Newton went to take pictures of the crowd and dropped his iPhone. Thankfully it still worked :). I hope we get to see them pictures at some point.

Newton popped a vinyl on the record player, left it playing for us and left the stage. No idea what it was, someone might enlighten us.


 photo P1770300.jpg
 photo P1770298.jpg
 photo P1770299.jpg
 photo P1770294.jpg
 photo P1770303.jpg
 photo P1770304.jpg


Afterwards.

Olvia FINALLY got a set list!


 photo P1770306.jpg

As we were leaving the steward came up to Olivia and I and said he was amazed by Newton’s talent and how passionate his fans were and said he’d “saw us singing with so much passion”. Then something amazing happened. Lottie ran across the standing floor, high fived me and asked how the show was. I said it was the best one yet and she said “that’s what I wanted to hear”. I adore her. Newton really does have the best people around him, his family.


 photo 1911791_10153941620625512_1913820598_n-1.jpg

It really was a top night. There was times when Newton went a bit wrong on a few notes, perhaps a little distracted by his family being there, but he put 110% into his vocal. He pushed his voice to the absolute max. It was amazing.

Afterwards we headed to the merch desk. Didn’t even dawn on us that seeing as it was Newton’s home show and his family was there he probably wasn’t going to come say hi. I just wanted to say THANK YOU.

I FINALLY got to meet Sam Brookes properly. He was swamped every other night. I went up to him, hugged him, and then threw my camera at Olivia. Hasn’t really thought that one through. Oops. Sam is such a sweetie. Sorry Olivia.


 photo meandsam.jpg

We went outside in search of a stage door. We found it but it was in the back of beyond. We saw the promoter go in with about 10 pizzas and decided we weren’t gonna wait. I was however on my phone looking at Lottie’s twitter and saw her retweet about the union chapel show on 22nd march. Without too much thought as to how the hell I was actually going to get there or get home I just booked it there and then. Whoops. Me? Implusive? Never.
THANK YOU Olivia for agreeing to come and gimme a lift home. YAY gig buddy. Gonna be so much fun.

Afterwards Olivia tried to talk me into Guildford the next night. I really couldn’t do it no matter how much I wanted to, I knew it was pushing my luck. I followed Olivia and Claudia down onto the platform before I realised I didn’t even know where I as. I’d got on the wrong branch of the Northern Iine, got completely lost at Euston, and finally made it back to the hotel.


The day after.

I slept well but woke up feeling like I’d been in a fight and definitely lost. My shoulders, knees, feet and stomach muscles were KILLING. Oh the joys of a tight barrier.

I made my way to the Irish bar O’Neils, my home away from home, for an Irish breakfast. Out of luck. The kitchen was broken. Fish and chips it was. 


 photo 1979618_10153941621405512_1206388192_n.jpg
 photo 1911889_10153941621870512_1821773864_n.jpg
 photo 1926827_10153941621490512_1852306982_n.jpg

Then I headed to The hummingbird for cupcakes. This time the snickers special and Red velvet. I swear to god the snickers special was amazing. Soft chocolate sponge, the sweet caramel and the salty peanuts. I NEED ANOTHER ONE.


 photo 1620584_10153941622255512_1466789016_n.jpg


 photo 1977103_10153941623500512_1054306654_n.jpg
 photo 1966780_10153941623380512_2009576458_n.jpg


 photo 1962605_10153941630480512_823543920_n.jpg

Then I found I had a spare 45 minutes and headed for a whirlwind visit to the science museum. My happy place. GEEK.


 photo 1970514_10153941623915512_1837896175_n.jpg
 
I was glad to see the listening post that reads live directly from the internet was still there, the new electronic music exhibition, and the same space exhibition that I’ve loved so much for years. I swear to god you should have seen the grin on my face as I walked into that room and under the massive rocket. It’s actually a beautiful building inside as well. SO MUCH FUN.


 photo 10001538_10153941625715512_626394977_n.jpg

 photo 1975212_10153941894220512_1510442558_n.jpg


 photo 10003468_10153941624435512_268340099_n.jpg
 photo 1798639_10153941624245512_2030618107_n.jpg

 photo 988810_10153941626360512_1294659304_n.jpg
 photo 10003448_10153941626515512_593364946_n.jpg

I loved wandering around London in the sunshine, blasting the candle thieves on my ipod. I love that band. And I love the sunshine.


 photo 1723008_10153941630500512_608098870_n.jpg

Then it was time for the bus home.


 photo 923483_10153941630195512_2027116223_n.jpg

 All was going well until we got onto the motorway somewhere near Watford and the bus pulled over on the hard shoulder and announced it had a problem. And my iPhone was on 1% battery. The driver opened the boot where the engine was, and closed it up again. Made a call to control. We got going all of about 300 yards and pulled over again. Then the driver announced the heating was leaking, he’d had to disconnect it and “it would get a bit chilly in a bit”. LOVELY. Thank god we made it back to Nottingham or I would have cried. TOO TIRED but an amazing few days.

I walked in my front door and my prize from cineworld that I’d won the day of the York show had arrived. Onesie, notebook, headphones and bag. LOVE IT. I never win anything. Great few days made even better!


 photo 1939740_10153941630320512_1009501881_n.jpg

Until the next time Newton….

UNION CHAPEL. 22ND MARCH. SOOOO EXCITED. Such a beautiful venue that’s always been on my bucket list of venues. CAN. NOT. WAIT.

No comments:

Post a Comment