Sunday 2 March 2014

Newton Faulkner – Nottingham – Rock City – 21 Feb 2014


Another 8am wakeup call and I felt like my spirit was broken. I felt really lousy and too tired for words. I walked down to the bullring and got myself a bacon roll with plenty of ketchup, a croissant and some orange juice. Greggs breakfast menu can fix almost anything. Onwards and upwards, Nottingham here I come. Newton Faulkner show 3 of 5 tonight.

I sat on the train and went through some old Newton Faulkner songs on the iPod. Stuff off his first few albums, b-sides, and then I stumbled across T in the park 2008. ‘For God's Sake’ & ‘Dream Catch Me’ … with a band! Seriously old skool. Then it was onto Sam Brookes ‘The Design’ off his first album. He’s one of those rare artists that can actually sing and sounds better live than on cd.

I got back to Nottingham after being a bit delayed (a landslide near chesterfield is causing all sorts of chaos for weeks apparently) and jumped on the bus home. I sat down on the sofa and didn’t want to move. I’d seen a few girls tweet that they were at the venue at 9:30am and thought if others see that they might follow suit. I needed to get ready ASAP.

I jumped on the bus into town and headed straight for burger king. Foooood was needed. The queue was long so I decided to get it to takeaway and headed straight to the venue. There was no one there! Two girls came for a bit with a subway, ate it, left for about an hour and came back expecting their places to still be there. Only two people had joined since so they let them back in. Then Olivia arrived. I was wondering where she was but she’d got held up in traffic. YAY. Company. We’d got chatting yesterday in Birmingham, some people you just click with, and Olivia was a lot of fun and I was glad to have someone to hang out with. I think I managed to talk her into doing her 21st birthday in Bournemouth with Newton Faulkner and moi.

The time went pretty quickly. It was great to say a quick hello to my friend Paul as he headed across town. I miss that guy. Doors were still 6:30 but it was an early show tonight for a disco load out for a club night. My God was I grateful for the 7pm Sam Brookes set and 8pm Newton show. 3 gigs in a row is tough going. I needed sleep.

We got in, got barrier, and thought we were landed. Until Sam came on. I could see but Olivia was blind. Curse you massive lighting rig.

Sam played another blinder of a set. I love him. It’s just a shame that all people wanted to do was talk their way through his set. Downsides of a Friday gig when everyone has clocked off at lunchtime and been in the pub all afternoon. GRRRR.



 photo sam1.jpg

Then it was time for Newton. Squee.


1. Where to start

I love this song. So sad and yet so defiant.

‘and I do not know where to start, just feels right’



 photo 1wheretostart.jpg
 photo 2wheretostart.jpg

2. Won’t let go

I’d almost forgotten how good Newton’s second record is, I got so drawn in by the 3rd record. Such a beautiful melody driven album. This song is no exception. I’m in love with it all over again. Great vocal from Newton tonight.

“Go on oh why can't you see?
That I'm not what you need
I'm not what you need”



 photo 3wontletgo.jpg
 photo 4wontletgo.jpg
 photo 5wontletgo.jpg

3. Long shot

Aww this one looked and sounded great tonight. Lower ceiling, smaller venue, the lighting for it looked great.

“It's such a long shot,
Everything that we've got,
Just living on this rock,
Surrounded by the sea”



 photo 6longshot.jpg

4. I need something

When the crowd even talked over one of his best known songs, I was worried how the show was gonna go. Thankfully it was great but I’m still pissed they talked over one of my favourite songs.

“And I'm scared of failure
So scared of success
I guess it'll all work out”

I was listening to him say, “you had a song of my 4th record, then one of my 2nd, then one of my 3rd  and this is off my 1st… and I thought, this song, so long ago, and yes it did all work out. Four top 10 albums, critical acclaim, a loyal fan base, sold out tours… such a talent. Proud of you Newton.

I love how he holds the neck of the guitar still and pulls the guitar into his chest at the end. I could watch Newton and his 101 tricks all night. So mesmerising and talented.



 photo 7ineedsomething.jpg

5. I took it out on you



 photo 8tea.jpg
Newton: What do you guys think of the tea warmer (a little knitted jacket for Newton’s mug)?
Random guy in audience:  it’s very 1950s
Newton: is it?
Random guy in audience:  no I just made that up
Newton: fair enough
Too funny!
 
I love the cello on it. I wasn’t sure at first. Such a melody driven song. I love it.
 Too many bloody people talking. Again. Rude.



 photo 9itookit.jpg
 photo 10itookit.jpg


6. Indecisive

I wasn’t sure about the vocal of Beth, Sam and Toby along with Newton, that it wasn’t too much, but I do like it now.

“Where do you go if you fall too far?
There's nothing in between the stars
Is it nothing that I can say to change your mind?”


7. Treading water

THIS SONG. I wish I could replace it with 3 minutes of different musical genius instead. I just don’t get it.



 photo 11treading.jpg
 photo 12treading.jpg
 photo 13treading.jpg
 photo 14treading.jpg


8. Clouds

AWWWWW. This song.
And I had to have giggle when I was singing my heart out and newton looks down at me right as we was singing  the words “The kind you don't take home to your mother”” LOL. I would take Newton home to my mother any night of the week ;)

“Let's all go out
Go out and find lovers
That scream and shout
The kind you don't take home to your mother”



 photo 15clouds.jpg
 photo 16clouds.jpg


9. Teardrop

Great cover, I appreciate that it put Newton on the map many moons ago but I’m a bit bored of it now.


10. Like I love you (Justin Timberlake cover)

Newton said he was still learning the words to this cover song and then there was a commotion just as Newton put his in ear monitors back in and he couldn’t hear what was happening. All we heard was someone shout something and 2400 people begin to boo. Newton asked what the guy shouted and someone else shouted ‘He called you a dickhead’. Newton smiled awkwardly and said ‘fair enough’ and carried on. Ever the professional. Made me mad though. Such a waste of a ticket at a sold out show.

This cover song is just sheer GENIUS. Although I still secretly wish it could have been Katy Perry’s ‘Roar’ instead.



 photo 17jt.jpg

Love the 'and i've got a funny face', face. So glad I captured that:


 photo 18jt.jpg



 photo 19jt.jpg


11. At the seams

Clean mic: This is my clean mic.
Dirty mic: And this is my dirty mic.

“I’ve made mistakes
But every step of the way
Give me real love”

At the end of the song, Newton revisited the starting notes and instead started to do the “oompa oompa” bit from willy wonka’s oompa loompa song and then said: “sorry, if you come and see me at any more shows and you see a little smirk on my face, that's what my brain is doing at the start of that song”

During the middle of the song there was another commotion and 2400 started to cheer in a quiet bit of the song. Afterwards Newton asked “Is everyone alright? What happened in the middle there?” Someone shouted ‘the twat left’. Newton was giggling and changed the words of this little piggy to ‘the little twat that left’ or something along those lines. Was funny.



 photo 20attheseams.jpg


12. Don’t make me go there

A beautiful song and one of my favourites off studio zoo. Wasn’t sure about the cello part but I do like it now.

“Please don’t make me go there
‘Cause I know what I will find”


13. Plastic hearts

Newton was the have the last laugh at the twat’s expense though.
Newton: Toby did you see the twat leave?
Toby: no I missed it.
Newton: Story of your life.
bahahaha.

Sam and Toby got him back doing silly clapping, high five-ing and slapping each other's hands behind their backs instead of clapping properly. Everyone was giggling and Newton looks confused lol.

14. Waiting on you

I love this song, and holding Newton’s gaze, just for a second, was amazing.

“When you're alone in the dark
With the monsters under your bed
Shadows on the wall
And the voices inside your head
It isn't always easy
Traveling on a winding road when you lost your way
All this is waiting on you”



 photo 22waiting.jpg
 photo 23waiting.jpg

15. Losing ground

Clean mic: stop.
Dirt mic: I don't want you to stop.
Clean mic: ooh that tickles.
Then Newton remarked “Someone at side of the stage is looking at me”. I wouldn’t mind betting it was one of his family, raising an eyebrow at his antics. I love that man.

“I'm in the firing line
I'm leaving this all behind me
I'm going fishing”

LOVE that line.


16. Soon

Aww my song. Yes I’ve claimed this song as mine.

“The darker the night
The brighter you burn
And when it comes, you will know”

I don’t want to say too much about this song but let’s just say, I relate to it SO MUCH.



 photo 22soon.jpg


17. Pulling teeth

This song was a lot of fun tonight. It has a great message about it. I don’t do game playing either.

“It's no sin to shed your thick skin
Throw it in the bin
Show me who you really are
I'll do the same
To hell with the games
Why don't we both just open up”


18. Write it on your skin

Aww another of my absolute faves. We got a decent sing-a-long going tonight along with the jumping. So much fun.

---------------------------------

19. Dream catch me

Awwwwww. I love this song. Everyone sang SO LOUD in my adopted home town tonight.



 photo 24dreamcatch.jpg
 photo 25dreamcatch.jpg


20. If this is it

Awwww another of my ultimate faves. Still love it so much.

“No one move,
No one speak,
Please don’t say that it’s just me.
It’s not just me.
And even though I won't forget,
Just don’t want this to end just yet.
Not just yet.”

That is definitely a sentiment that means more tonight that the other nights so far. No one wanted to go home.



 photo 26ifthisis.jpg
 photo 27ifthisis.jpg
 photo samdrumend.jpg


21. Orange skies

Newton introduced the band whilst playing the intro to the song. Then he remarked ‘can I just play this intro forever, I don’t want to go’. You could see it on his face that he was 110% LOVING tonight. I was too.


Meeting Newton. (and sam).

After the show we waited in the massive queues to get downstairs so we could get to the merch desk. We knew if we went out a side exit that the merch desk was a no go. And I wanted Sam’s CD and a quick chat with Newton in my home town. We weren’t sure if he was gonna do it seeing as the venue has a curfew but he did. Yay.
 
I finally got Sam’s cd and he was so adorable and signed it for me. Wish I could have talked to Sam a bit more but he was being swamped.



 photo sam.jpg

I made my way out of the crowd at the merch desk and grabbed Olivia as I’d heard Lottie ask if it was ok to bring Newton in.

Newton was adorable to Olivia and I. All I could think to say to Newton was to apologise for the very strange home crowd. Newton said he enjoyed it and signed my ticket for me and we took a piccie. Newton was also adorable to Olivia, marvelling at his signature from Birmingham that she got tattooed and compared it to another guy’s arm that he’d just signed. I said to him that it was the neatest I’d ever seen him write.

Lottie asked if we were as doing anymore and we told her Bournemouth and then I told her the postman had lost my London ticket. She was adorable, she told me to tweet her if I had problems.
I said to Newton: don't worry I will get in somehow
Newton's reply: I know you will.
haha.
 



 photo moi.jpg
 photo tix.jpg


All in all it was one brilliantly strange show with the home crowd. Great set list, great show. Really loving the tour. Don’t want it to end.

I got off the bus and walked around to the house. It was really cold out there but such a clear night. I looked up and saw the stars shining so brightly. I felt so blessed. Music is my everything.

And it was the best thing ever when Olivia decided to spend her 21st birthday with Newton and moi. Honoured. Roll on Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment