Friday 25 February 2011

24 songs: day 15: a song you love singing along to

I didn't even have to think about this one: Darren Hayes - Good enough.


I am TERRIBLE at remembering lyrics without the song playing in the background.
Choruses and verses and bridges and everything confuse the hell out of me.
But this song is one of the few songs I could sing without it playing.
It’s a VERY special song, imprinted in my memory.

Those opening bars:

‘If I woke up late, couldn’t get out of bed, if I bought you a cafĂ© latte instead….’

When spin was released I was still at school in sixth form. I would be in the house all day, doing homework or researching history for my next school year (yes I was a geek) and I would escape for a walk when it got dark and just wander the quiet little road to the village singing good enough. Other days I would go for a walk with mum at lunchtime in the sun and just sing.

That song really was my sanity for a while. And you don't need to be genius to work out its lyrical importance to me.

I love the version on the Too Close for Comfort DVD and it's message too:

so I wrote this next song and when I wrote it, I thought it was just a song about me until I went on tour and started playing it and I realised its a story most people relate to I guess. Its about that critic in your head and about trying to please people and realising you will never do that, but that the people that really matter in your life are the people that just dig you the way you are, for all your faults, all your strengths and all your weaknesses. This song is me basically saying I’m just like you, I just want someone to appreciate me, and love me for the entire person that I am, good or bad or indifferent. This is good enough”.



1 comment:

  1. I love singing along to any song I like and if I am by myself. The one of the songs I find myself really getting into is 'Casey' by Darren. Don't know what it is about that song that makes me love it so much (besides it being an awesome song). I guess it does make me think of my mom's old station wagon ( a faded yellow). It was her first car after my parents split and even though it was a big car, I had fun in it. (Ok that sounds dirty).

    ReplyDelete