Friday 25 February 2011

25 songs: day 16: a song that has made you cry.

Darren Hayes - So Beautiful.

It was the first time a song make me cry out of overwhelming emotion at a happy song. Sure sad songs had made me cry, but not a happy song. I was kinda taken aback by it. Lots of people I had talked to had spoken of emotions were a happy song had made them cry and I just didn't get it. I never felt that. I'd never had very real tears from a happy song.

The 30 second sampler to So Beautiful went up on darrenhayes.com and I remember that moment as if it was yesterday. I remember sitting at the really ancient and really bad computer at home in Ireland with dial up. Bear in mind this was 2005 and I was still running a dinosaur with windows 98! It took forever to buffer, but my ears and face lit up immediately.

I remember being sat on the edge of my bed, I had recorded the 30 seconds onto a kiddies tape recorder via my computer speakers. It got to me. Or got through to me. One of the two.


I adore the first verse, there was something about the romance of just letting the universe just be and that knowing notting else matters because you had each other. obviously we didnt know about Richard then, but I knew that whoever it was made Darren very happy:

"Like an ocean needs the sand
Or a dirty old shoe that fits
And if all the world was perfect
I would only ever want to see your scars
You know they can have their universe
We'll be in the dirt designing stars
"

I still to this day have the lyrics from that 30 second sampler stuck above my bed in Ireland. I sat and typed them out before we even had the full song and backed onto a bit of pink card.

1 comment:

  1. So many songs have made me cry it's hard to choose. 'I miss you' by Darren used to make me cry when my husband was staying in a town that is almost 3 hrs away when he was working for a prison down there. I would only see him 2 days a week. I missed him so much.

    Then there is 'Endless love' that makes me really feel my love for my husband. And then the two songs I play when I feel really bad about myself, "Keep the faith' by MJ and 'Stay the same' by Joe McIntyre.

    ReplyDelete