Monday 21 February 2011

Nottingham Light Night. - 18 Feb 2011

Its one night a year when the whole of the city comes alive with light installations and art. There are projections, installations and performers. The light installations and projections are incredible. A photographer's heaven. I’ve been going to light night since 2009. I’ve been excited about this night since I found out about it a fortnight before it happened.


When I got outside to the first point of call at Maid Marian way, there was an incredible set of projections called ‘they came running’. I’m not sure how they created the photos for the projections but I believe it involved a slow shutter lens and bouncing light of objects and making it look like it was bouncing, free running.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket



The next stop was the kinetic energy producing sculpture called HiG. (Helix in gimble). It was amazing. It spun round and lit up different colours, and I loved it, although the red was hard to photograph.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket



The next stop was the castle and some kids were using some sort of projector to draw whatever they wanted on the wall of the castle. One drew a spiral pattern, the other a smiley face.

Photobucket

Photobucket



There was a guy juggling fire:

Photobucket

… and then I turned around and saw a series of projections by various artists and museums and colleges in the area on the wall of Castle College. The spirited love collection was beautiful but weird, considering that at that VERY moment, truly madly deeply came on my iPod. That was freaky. It was so cold out I couldn’t feel my fingers but wasn’t about to sacrifice my photography.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket



I was about to walk back the way I came and saw loads of people walking the other way. So I followed. I stumbled upon the kids light garden. It was covered in leaves of paper children had made, little hut like things with glass bottles suspended in them and some uber cool robots controlled by strings attached to some poor bloke in a harness. It was magical. There was also musical teepees.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket



The next stop was down to st peter’s gate via friar lane.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket



At St Peter’s gate there was space cones and also a giant snowflake. It looked amazing. It was wonderful to see st peter’s church lit up too.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket



After that I headed up to the lace market to see the light garden. Kids were using coloured torches and slow shutter photography to create photos. It was lovely to see.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket



Then I headed into the contemporary gallery with was open for free. In a display case, inside one of the galleries were lots of phrases in different clipart fonts. Four stood out to me:

“it looks for nothing beyond itself”

“the world watches silently”

“the search for the truth is a search about form”

“when the image is new, the world is new”.

Photobucket

Photobucket



I was heading back to the square and saw a light up car and a dancing spaceman.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket



The next stop was old market square to see the wheel of Nottingham. It stands at 60m, over 200 ft tall and it is amazing. And I haven’t been on it yet this year but I MUST. I’m terrified of heights but wild horses wouldn’t stop me getting up there with my camera. Especially at sunset. What can I say…. For the love of art.

There was also a huge lobster roaming the square and a solar powered disco floor.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket



I headed off to see the lite flower which responded to touch and water (although sadly I didn’t get to see it respond)

Photobucket

I then found the prodigal sunbeams in the Bromley house garden. It was essentially a rope light held up on various music stands. cymbals stands, drum kit stands, microphone stands… it was wonderful.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket



Then it was time to head home. I probably shouldn’t have been running around Nottingham like a big kid in the freezing cold the day after having a tooth extracted but it was too good to miss.

No comments:

Post a Comment