Wednesday 2 March 2011

25 songs: day 21: Your Favourite Song

U2 - With or Without You.

I was brought up listening to U2, my dad used to play Unforgetable fire to me when I was still in mummy's tummy. Apparently when I was born, the only way to get me to go to sleep was to rock me to that album as it was played VERY loud. apparently it was all about 'bad'.

An album I remember Dad playing when I was older was rattle and hum. I fell in love with both unforgetable fire and The joshua tree from that live album. Dad never loved the direction they took with achtung baby, zoo or pop and it wasn't until all that you can't leave behind I discovered U2 all over again. I remember racing out to get the single 'Stuck in a moment'. I adored it. but I never loved elevation. today, I also love walk on.

In 2002 for my birthday I was bought two albums, the greatest hits 1980 - 1990 and the greatest hits 1990 - 2000. It is no secret that i'm not a fan of most of their stuff from the 90s. The 80s - 90s album I was obsessed with. I have always said the day they write an album as good as the joshua tree is the day I become obsessed with them again. Listening to that 80s -90s CD I was like being reminded I had an intense connection to those songs before, I guess I had, when I was a baby.

When they released How To Dismantle and atomic bomb I was so excited. I hated Vertigo but other songs I loved a lot. sometimes you can't make it on your own is a incredible song. As is in the city of blinding lights and all because of you. my favourite song of that album was miracle Drug. I still play that song loads. At that point it was their best song since One.

I got bought the rattle and hum dvd for my 21st birthday and It was one of my favourite ever birthday presents. I watched it 3 times non stop that day! There was Bono saying "others run from acts of terrorism like we had today in a town called Enniskillen, where 11 people lay dead and many more lay injured'. Half way through the song Bono just chants NO MORE, NO MORE, NO MORE. I'm glad it's not as bad at home as it used to be. I've lived in a village 7 miles from Enniskillen since I was 4 until I was 18. It took me a long time to get used to living in England and seeing police that aren't armed. My best friend's brother almost lost his life in that Enniskillen bombing. I wonder if the people who fight in the name of glory and religion knows what it feels like to almost lose people you love. Or for those who havent been as lucky as me and have had the troubles kill their loved ones? I digress...

I got an American iTunes card and I downloaded with or without you live from paris and Milan. I still play the live version for Milan LOADS.

I adore unknown caller and moment of surrender of the last album. It's for me getting close to The Joshua Tree. But only those two songs.

Sometimes I hit play on with or without you and burst into tears, that is what that song means to me. LOTS. I adore the video, Bono with his hands held above his head as if tied.

If you asked me what song connects deepest I would say with or without you. It Soothes deep down into my soul. That bass line. its incredible.

"See the stone set in your eyes
See the thorn twist in your side
I wait for you"

I waited a LONG time to see U2 live. 22nd August 2009.

U2 is one of the most incredible bands ever. From the very very back, 3 rows from the top of a 70,000 seater stadium on the last night of the 360 degrees UK tour I FELT it. I never lost that connection. 70,000 people holding up their mobile phones to 'make a milkyway on the inside of the stadium'. moment of surrender is the reason I fell in love with U2 all over again.

"At the moment of surrender
Of vision over visibility
I did not notice the passers by
And they did not notice me"

I would almost kill to see them again.

No comments:

Post a Comment