Tuesday 8 March 2011

30 Songs for 30 days: Day 2: My Least Favourite Song right now

Enrique Iglesias - Tonight (I'm F**king you).

Sorry Enrique.

I really dislike this song.

I've loved Enrique on and off since 2002. I loved him the minute I saw him sing ‘Hero’ on Top of The Pops. He kinda lost me a bit with ‘Seven’ but ‘insomniac’ brought me back to him. I do honestly feel that insomniac was as good as ‘escape’ but now with the new album 'Euphoria' he's decided to be something other than what he is. He's gone and written all these R'n'B songs and duets and collaborations and to me it just feels like he is trying to be something other than an amazing singer/songwriter who does love songs.

I remember being shocked when I heard his song called 'On Top of You'. It doesn't need me to spell it out to you what that song was about. But it was sensual as well as sexual. It wasn't graphic for the sake of it. It was romantic as opposed to explicit. It was about making love to someone rather than f**king them. There is a difference.

Tonight, I’m F**king you, however, is graphic and explicit just to sensationalise and you know what... sex sells, and so does controversy. Because the music video got to number one on the music channels in the UK and the song was Enrique's first number 1 in America.

Capital FM said it well: "the video for this next song is utter filth, there are ladies wearing bottomless tights"


The video isn't necessarily too far, but it's wrong for him. It’s a hot video but I don’t think the orgy scene was necessary. I LOVE the bathroom scene, the way the sound dips; just like it does in the toilets when you are clubbing, that was a good touch. I do fancy the pants off him and always will. He needed to get his top off ;). I like that bit ;). He does look damn HOT.

Don’t start me on the lyrics either. That lyric 'been to every nation, you know my motivation, given my reputation, please excuse me, I don't mean to be rude, but tonight I’m f**king you' is just the most naff lyric. Especially as for years he has said that his reputation for being a ladies man isn't true. Now he is flogging it for all it is worth. I’m sorry but if you didn’t mean to be rude, and you know it's rude, why say it?

I'm not in any way prudish or anything but I don’t think a song needs language like that. The censored version, 'Tonight I'm loving you' is better but I still don’t like it. And the video is the same only the ladies modesty has been preserved just enough to be broadcastable on TV. They are still naked.

Here is the link to the uncensored video: you have been warned:

http://www.artistdirect.com/video/enrique-iglesias-tonight-explicit-version-ft-ludacris-dj-frank-e/87402

No comments:

Post a Comment